.:Chapter Nine:.

Magnus was sat in a booth waiting for Jace and Isabelle. The seat was badly torn and worn read leather. He scanned over the menu, periodically glancing at the door. When he saw the two shadowhunters walk through the door, he smiled. He had to try, for Alexander. Jace and Izzy sat down opposite him.
"Hey Magnus!" Izzy exclaimed, seemingly excited at seeing the warlock again for the first time in weeks. Magnus gave a nod in return and looked down at his menu. He didn't really feel like talking to them, or being there, but he had to do it. For Alec. He looked at Jace and started to notice the little things. His hair, messier than usual. The dark circles under his eyes. His complexion, unusually pale. His bad posture. He turned his attention to Izzy. She had circles under her eyes too, badly hidden by makeup. Her hair was in a bun, but pieces of hair were falling out of it. Her black eyes were focused on the menu, looking for something she could order.
"Hi, can I take your order?" A cheery voice said. Magnus looked towards the voice. Their server was a young girl with bright pink hair and sparkling blue eyes. Eyes like Alec's. Magnus saw Jace immediately look at his hands, avoiding the piercing gaze of the girl, his face falling.
"I'll have an apricot and plum smoothie with honey, and some strawberry pancakes please!" Isabelle said cheerily, struggling to lighten the mood. The girl nodded and scribbled the order on a notepad. She turned to Magnus.
"And you, sir?" Magnus looked at the menu.
"I'll just have a coffee, thanks." The waitress nodded again. The waitress turned to Jace and asked him the same.
"I'll have... fries, please." He sounded dispirited. The girl nodded before walking back into the kitchen.
"So.. how are you guys?" Magnus asked, attempting to make conversation.
"How do you think." Jace said bluntly, glaring at him. Magnus didn't say anything else.

Once their food arrived, they sat in silence and ate. Jace has a constant look of pain etched on his face, which, to Magnus, wasn't really surprising, considering his Parabatai bond had snapped not that long ago. Izzy just looked under the weather. She looked like she wanted to say something, but didn't. Magnus knee this was a bad idea, but this...? This was a new thing entirely.

When their plates were clear, Izzy and Jace got a text saying they were needed at the Institute, so they got up to leave.
"Bye Magnus." Jace said, sighing. Izzy said nothing. Magnus waved as they left before pulling out his wallet. Leaving a $50 bill on the table, he left Taki's and started walking home in the rain (it had started raining halfway through their meal).