Chapter 31

Chloe's POV: August 30. It's finally here. The night that Why Don't We's debut album is released. I sit on the couch at their house, popping a few mini Reese's peanut butter cups into my mouth as Jack sits with his arm around me. The lights in the house are dimmed low and people are constantly shuffling in and out of the party as music pulses.

"20 minutes!" I hear someone say gleefully, and I nudge Jack in excitement.

"Almost time," I say softly as he tightens his arm around me and laughs a little. His lips tickle my ear as he leans in to whisper something.

"Can I tell you a secret?"

I shift a little and smile to myself. "Go ahead."

"One of the songs..... Hard..... it's about you," he says seductively. I'm silent for a minute as I blush and then turn to look at him.

His eyes glint with mischief as he leans in to kiss me roughly. I tangle my fingers into his curly hair and kiss him back. Even though it doesn't feel quite right.

He pulls away after a few seconds breathlessly. "I wrote it after- after we went to the drive in movie theater." And nothing more needs to be said. We both know that that was the night Zach got in that awful fight, the night I held Jack's hand for the first time and cried onto his shoulder as my feelings for him changed into something more.

"I can't wait to hear it," I say honestly. Standing up, I stretch my arms out. "I'll get us some drinks," I call out over my shoulder as I walk into the crowded kitchen.

Grabbing our drinks, I turn back around and come face to face with Zach's mom and Reese.

"Chloe!" Reese says happily as she gives me a big hug. "I've missed you," she looks up at me as she clings onto my knees.

"I've missed you too, sweet girl," I say as I look down at her with the drinks in my hand.

"How are you doing?" Mrs. Herron puts one hand on my shoulder and looks at me, concerned.

"I'm doing okay."

"Zach misses you, you know. He talks about you all the time. Chloe this, Chloe that......." she smiles with a far off look in her eyes. I find it kind of hard to believe that, now that Kendyl is around, but maybe she's telling the truth.

"I'm really proud of him and excited for tonight," I say quietly. "I mean- I'm proud of ALL the boys!" I add in hastily, and she smiles knowingly.

"Chloe!" I hear Jack call from the living room.

Giving them a guilty grin, I gesture towards the living room and say goodbye before heading back in there. I settle back onto the couch and hand Jack his drink when I spy Zach and Kendyl, deep in conversation as she giggles flirtatiously. Crossing my arms, I let out a small sigh and rest my head on Jack's shoulder as I look at them.

He looks happy with her. Resting one hand on her shoulder, he leans in to whisper something funny to her and she lets out a chuckle as she plays with her hair. It's like they're the only ones in the room together, and the rest of the party doesn't matter. Glancing up, she shots me a smug looking smile as Zach puts an arm around her shoulder and pulls her closer. Zach follows her gaze until his eyes land on mine. Smirking a little bit, he gives me a small wave. Caught. I smile wanly before tearing my eyes away.

"Five minutes!!" someone calls out excitedly, and a murmur passes through the room. People start making their way into the kitchen, and Jack offers me his hand as he stands up. Pulling me up, he hugs me tightly before starting to walk in there.

"I'll- I'll meet you in there," I say and he smiles at me as he goes in there. The room starts to clear out as I stand alone, thinking. About the boys and the album and everything that's been happening.