Chapter 13

"You had a forced shift." The warrior states. His hair is a deep brown like his eyes, cropped on the sides and slightly longer on the top.

If I could, I would roll my eyes. Does he think I'm so stupid I can't tell I'm in wolf form?

I ignore the man who likes to state the obvious, instead deciding to look for my parents. Still, I'm slightly regretful when I pull my eyes from his chiselled chest, filled with unapologetically bold art. My eyes naturally sweep past all the Caucasians as I look for traces of melanin. There are quite a few people with my skin tone, three men and two women, but none of them are my parents. Their silent judgement communicated via rigid stances and turned backs makes that clear before I even chance looking at their faces.

Did my parents leave me? It doesn't sit right. Surely they wouldn't leave me at a moment like this.

"The betas are speaking your situation over with the alpha and luna." My gaze snaps to the tattooed warrior as he speaks in his rough voice. For someone who seems to have such little regard for my well being, I'm surprised he cares enough to address my confusion. "They left when they saw you had regained control."

When was that? My mind briefly flits back to the discussion I'd heard whilst trying to shake off the pain. The deep, masculine voice I now recognise as the grumpy warrior's. Was he talking to my parents?

He seems to understand where my mind drifts, because his mouth flicks into a stupid smirk, light pink lips quirking to the side where brackets promptly frame his mouth. His eyes don't light as his mouth twists, making the expression something dark. Taunting. His dislike of me is clear. The feeling is fast becoming mutual.

"I spoke with our respective leaders. The alphas weren't impressed with your obvious lack of control. I doubt there's much your betas can say to convince them you're worthy of our pack." When he says alphas, as in plural, he means the alpha male and alpha female (who is usually addressed as Luna in reverence to the moon who we see as the key in providing balance between our two halves). The fact that both of them doubt me makes my stomach twist unnaturally with anxiety like tightly coiled metal.

The alpha is primarily concerned with pack safety, so his contempt is a given. But luna's are generally concerned with pack happiness and unity. If she sees me as a threat to that, there is no hope for a life here.

The warrior, who is becoming less attractive every time he opens his mouth, confirms this. "You are clearly unstable and a danger to the pack. If you willingly respond from here on in we will allow you to return to your home with no ill will."

I can't tell if that was a reassurance or a threat. His grudgingly handsome and smug face twitches with the hint of another smile. Threat it is then. I glare at him without reservation. If I'm already doomed, I may as well. His face loses all traces of amusement at my glare.

"Shift back." He threatens, looking my wolf dead in the eye without a second of hesitance. I hold his gaze defiantly, wondering what his problem is. Can't he see I've just experienced a possibly traumatising shift and need a break? Never mind the fact that the forced shift left me without a scrap of my original clothes and the car with my bag is nowhere to be seen. No way am I going to change naked in a clearing full of disrespectful, angry defenders.

The warrior continues with the threat and eye holding. His voice turns even more threatening, deepening to a low drawl. "Or I'll be forced to make you." There's no doubt in his voice that he'll accomplish it. As he scans me from head to paw, I get the feeling he expects it to be easy too. I itch with the need to prove him wrong.

He takes a step forwards, his long, muscled legs making the stride much longer than I hoped. I scoot back to put some distance between the scary man and myself. My wolf wants to tuck her tail and flee whilst we can. I want to see what kind of challenge he can offer.

Just how exactly is he so confident he can force me?

Then, it clicks. He's not making empty threats. My whole body tenses. I debate just how fast my wolf can run compared to the wolf I've mentally assigned the warrior.

Wolves can resist orders to shift back from anyone without official power over them. Therefore I don't have to shift if he demands it unless I join his pack or he shows his power in a different official way – wrapping his teeth around my throat and getting my wolf to submit. With my wolfs submission the shift back would be immediate, leaving me naked with my neck in the jaws of a potential murderer.

Just great...

The snarl that leaves my mouth is instinctual, leaping from deep within my chest with all the power of a beta. The warrior growls back loudly. His eyes glare into mine with an intensity that leaves me reeling, fixated on the anger in his eyes. Then, he shifts.

It takes five seconds at most for his body to fully morph from a scary man to an equally fearsome wolf. Light skin is replaced by sandy coloured fur. His angular jaw is transformed into a softly lined muzzle. His large hands form huge paws twice the size of my human face. His brown eyes remain on my face as the shift occurs, something so creepy I'm wondering if the MiddleEast pack is worth the thought of moving to. So much drama already, though admittedly provoked by me.

He's huge. Bigger than a beta - my Dad included - and any pack warrior I'd heard of or seen. Even the defenders stood with him take a step back at his form.

Weaklings.

But as I look at his formidable being I wonder if I can really blame them. I don't get time to think on it, before he opens his jaws and lunges straight for my face.

***

A/N 

Likes? Dislikes? Suggestions?

So, I'll admit I cheated and posted on a Friday because I realised no-ones been keeping up with Wednesday updates anyway. But from here on, I'll stick to schedule! 

Adios till next Wednesday!