Prologue

AN: This chapter was originally all in past tense, third person but I've changed it since I've decided to write the main story from first POV. Which tense/POV do you prefer?

As I've changed this on my very smashed phone, I've probably missed some needed edits. If you spot any, please point them out!

And don't forget to vote/comment: I won't bite if there is something you don't like. Though I may cuddle if you're willing to help a girl out and give some (much needed) feedback. :P

Written: 28th July 2017

Edited: 27 May 2018

***

(ONE YEAR IN THE FUTURE)

Pale light streams through the gaps in the blinds.

With a smile on my face, I peel my eyes open, stretching out to my full length on the california king bed. I briefly remember dreaming last night and for the first time I'm half tempted to slip back into sleeps comforting hold. It's a little surprising the difference having someone you fully trust next to you makes. I haven't slept that well in a while and feel almost fully refreshed despite the humid air.

Strands of hair are stuck to my neck from sweat and it's starting to frizz from the heat of the night. Dressed in just shorts and a crop top, I had been fully prepared for the heatwave the night before, but some things are unavoidable.

I stink.

As I debate whether to leave the comfort of my large mattress for the much needed shower, I smell heaven. The bitter scent of coffee permeates the air, making my hands twitch with the urge to get my morning fill of my lifelong addiction.

Slipping out of the warm cocoon of covers, I slip my feet into a pair of old bunny slippers and proceeded to make my way down to the kitchen. My feet pad almost silently on the polished wooden floors. Stealthily I  race down the stairs, passing photos of my grinning face amongst family and friends. When I reach the kitchen, I peer around the corner of the wall to see a figure working silently over the stove.

The sizzle of batter hitting a pan blocks out any noise I make as I sneak into the room. The man is nodding his head to a silent song whilst cooking, lips moving every couple of seconds to lyrics I can't quite make out. As he goes to get something from the fridge, I make my move. Counting to three in my head, I jump in the air, wrapping my legs around the person's waist and looping my arms around their neck.

"What the fu-" His startled cry is cut short when I place a kiss by his ear.

"Gotcha."

Eyes wide, Cole, my sweetheart, grabs my legs and twists me around till we are chest to chest.

"That wasn't very nice." He pouts. "To think I was making you breakfast in bed."

Grinning, I place a chaste kiss on his lips. "You're so sweet, but next time bring my coffee quicker, ay?"

Laughing he places me on the kitchen counter and leans over me, resting his chin on my mass of brown hair.

"I'm sorry your majesty," He teases, mouth quirking up into an awkward, half lipped smile. "give me a kiss for motivation and I'll be faster next time."

His shadow across the glass cupboards devoures mine as his face lowerers to meet my lips.

His large frame is almost intimidating, but I'm just as startling, if not more so. The fact would have bothered me once upon a time, but I've learnt that my differences aren't something to be ashamed of anymore.

They never were.

With eyes a pale blue, cheekbones like slabs of stone and skin a dark brown, I often get a second glance. My icy gaze has been described as off-putting, soulless even.

It doesn't surprise me that people started calling me a witch in school. Bruja. But it hurts, the name tunnelling under my defences on my bad days to remind me that I was seen as the abnormal girl more than the girl with ambition, power and drive.

But things change.

For the past few years, I've been modelling. Learning to love my body for what it is and being able to promote the fact that being unique isn't a sin, but an opportunity. I'm suddenly able to make a difference, to encourage girls just like me to step out of the dark shadows of their classmates oppression and into the limelight.

And, I met Cole. A boy who doesn't want to steal my limelight; A boy who doesn't resent it, but embraces it - becomes it. He is all the light I need.

We met, two moths drawn to the flame, and became a patterned beacon. Warm brown eyes met a chilly blue, slightly tanned skin met exotic brown. Ambition met strength.

And we found love.

***

In an old two story house, with the sun bearing witness Ebony and Cole enjoyed each other's embrace, the ever present tingles coursing through their bodies with each gentle meeting of lips. The morning moved on, the sky grew brighter and the breakfast started to cool.

Ebony slid off the counter, ready to start the day. As the two lovebirds transitioned into their morning routine like a well oiled machine, Ebony wondered for a brief moment how she had gotten so lucky. Barely even 18 and she'd already found her place, her reason for existing.

Cole lit a fire in her she knew would never burn out...

Then, it did.

***
So, what are your thoughts on this short introduction to Ebony and Cole's story? Yay or nay?