Chapter 10

The sky darkened above you. Thick, grey clouds issued the promise of yet another rainfall. The knife held against your throat was becoming the source of dozens of painful little pinpricks. Squinting, you took a deep breath and did your best not to move against the blade.

"Not a visitor. Just passing through. Let me go and I'll be on my way."

You paused between word-fragments, fearing that one slip-up would lead to your demise. The man who you assumed was Ralph tutted, finally pulling away from you. "No no no, the pretty girl must stay. Stay for dinner. Ralph is the father and sh-she can be the mother. Father, mother, little girls."

Little girls?

You rejected the urge to protest against the android named Ralph, who had now woven his fingers through your hair and was petting it softly. There was obviously something weird going on. Your curiosity overpowered your desire to run away and you nodded the best you could against the sharp knife. "Yeah, ok. Lead the way."

Once the knife was removed from your throat, Ralph grabbed you by the hand and led you through the door of the house that you had once assumed was abandoned. He didn't release his grip on you until you stumbled through what appeared to be the entryway of a ramshackled kitchen/living room. Once there, he slammed the door shut behind you and began giggling senselessly as he skipped across the room.

You scanned the perimeter; eyes widening when they fell upon the far wall of the room. A tidal wave of deja vu came over you so quickly that you almost toppled backwards. Printed in perfect lettering was the word RA9, carved over and over into the chipping paint of the walls. Vivid visions from previous dreams clouded your vision. You suddenly felt very lightheaded and feared that you would actually faint. Only when you looked away from the tapestry of crude, mysterious carvings did you feel at peace once more.

Seated at a dirtied kitchen table were two females whom you instantly recognized. A little girl with dark hair sat across from a woman with choppy blonde locks. They both looked to you with mixed expressions as you walked closer. The entire scene was narrated by Ralph's distant and frantic humming as he worked around the room, moving pots and pans and different items into little piles and then re-organizing them.

"You're the ones from my dream," You murmured, stepping closer to the duo. The older of the two looked confused while the younger one shot you a look that read 'help me.' It was then that you noticed the enlarged dead rat sitting on the chipped plate in front of her. You were about to question it when Ralph appeared behind you with a tattered lounge chair, pushing it against the small of your back in an attempt to make you sit.

"Come sit! Little girl is about to eat dinner! Well, the little girl will eat and Ralph will watch! Yes, yes, he will watch."

You watched as Ralph sat down across from you, looking eagerly at the little girl. She looked up at the female android for help but received none. After a few moments of awkward silence, you cleared her throat. "Maybe it needs spices. Can't eat a good burnt animal without spices!" You hoped that didn't sound too fake.

This must've triggered something in the android as his hands suddenly slammed against the table, startling all of you. "Yes, yes of course! Spices. Ralph will look for spices. Little girl will eat her food." He announced before grabbing a large kitchen knife and stalking off deeper into the building. As soon as he left, you leaned your hands on the table and spoke in hushed tones.

"You're the deviants that the police are looking for. I saw you both in my dream." You held up your arm and let the holographic skin peel away, proving your words as somewhat truthful. The older looking android nodded to herself, doing the same with her hand.