Chapter 6

It had been a few months since Connor had first approached you in Carl's garden about working with him on future deviant cases. The entire incident had left you a little shaken up, to say the least. Of course, you didn't mind not being in touch with him, but it made you more paranoid after each passing day. At first, you worried that someone really had been watching you through Connor's eyes and that the entire thing was a set-up to expose you and possibly other deviants. However, as the city became shrouded beneath a thin blanket of snow and the flowers no longer held their lively color you came to the conclusion that maybe he had just forgotten about your little 'agreement'.

You currently paced up and down your room in Richard's house, every so often looking up at the clock mounted up on the wall. In half an hour's time, you, Richard, Carl, and Markus were all supposed to attend a cocktail party to celebrate the opening of one of Carl's newest pieces in a modern art museum. It was clear that none of you wanted to go-except for Richard who intended to get as intoxicated as physically possible. A problem that you would no doubt have to take care of.

Your eyes darted to the window. Snow beat down on the glass in muffled flurries, building upon the panes and creating little frozen barricades against the pitch black sky. From what you could make out in the darkness, a small autonomous taxi cab had just pulled up in front of the house. You heard Richard call to you from downstairs. "(Y/N)! It's time to go!"

You took a deep breath, catching yourself once more in the reflection of the mirror mounted on the wall opposite of your bed. You had been programmed with many different hair-styling and makeup techniques, but it was Richard himself who had chosen your gown for that evening.

The dress itself was a muted blood-red and reached down to your knees. Intricate flowers and other designs were woven into the sheer fabric that hugged your waist and fanned out in the skirt to create a puffier texture near the bottom. On your feet were a pair of sleek black kitten heels that coordinated perfectly with your leather clutch. All in all, your master had a very good taste in women's fashion. Not wanting to hold up the group any longer, you swung the door open and briskly walked toward the staircase.

The foyer was filled with the laughter of your colleagues as they chatted away over the night to come. You watched from above as Richard struggled to button up his long, beige trench coat that previously hung limply on the coat hanger. Carl and Markus waited alongside him. The latter mentioned looked up as soon as you began your descent down the stairway, eyes not moving from your figure as you bunched up your fist in your skirt to hold back a prideful grin.

"Wow," the android finally muttered under his breath. If he was attempting to keep his thoughts on you to himself, he failed miserably. Both Richard and Carl looked to where Markus was staring before knowingly smiling at each other. It was obvious to them what was going on.

You reached the ground level of the house and instinctively reached for your jacket, only to have been beaten by Markus. He himself was dressed to the nines in a classic black and white tux. It was obviously not fitted properly, being one from Carl's youth. He still wore his CyberLife issued dress shoes but you wouldn't be lying if you said that they matched perfectly with the rest of his outfit.

"Allow me," he smiled shyly, holding up the coat so that you could swiftly slide your arms through the heavy flannel sleeves. You barely noticed as his LED momentarily flashed a pale yellow but thought nothing of it. "Thank you, Markus," You felt yourself blush as he gently pulled your hair from the confines of the jacket, letting it fall against your back as was originally intended.

"Shall we get going then? I just can't wait to be the center of attention," Carl said, wheeling himself out the door with a chuckle as the rest of the party followed in tow. You internally screamed in delight at how Markus lagged in the doorway so that he could offer you his arm. He was behaving like the true definition of a gentleman and you were enjoying every millisecond of it. Something told you that this night was bound to be amazing.