C H A P T E R 47

Começar do início

"Hello?" I called, music playing from the kitchen.

"I'm in here!" My mum called.

"Smells amazing," I gawked, setting my car keys in a little tray on the counter table and throwing my bag on the floor.

"That was my goal," she smiled. "How's Jaz doing?"

"Like she was before, but with a couple of broken ribs," I shrugged.

"That's fantastic! Well, not the broken ribs, but I'm glad she's doing well," she smiled and didn't a little jig to show her excitement.

"Never do that again," I laughed, shaking my head. "Anyway, why are you in such a good mood?"

"I'm just glad my daughter is home," she answered.

"Whatever you say," I sighed. "Where's Caden?" I asked, closing a cupboard door that my mum left open.

"He's about shopping for utensils," she responded, stirring something in a pan.

"Utensils? For what?"

"When Caden gets home, we'll eat," she stated, changing the subject.

"You're weird," I laughed, helping her season the shrimp.

***

"This is amazing," I mumbled, shoving three shrimps in my mouth. "So are you two going to explain why you are staring at me?" I added, swallowing.

"Well Caden has some exciting news," my mother nudged him.

"Please tell me you aren't becoming a dad," I begged.

"No, why is that the first thing that comes to your head?" He asked disgusted.

"Then what is it?" I wondered, ignoring his question.

"So you know how mum said I went shopping for random supplies?" He started.

"Yeah...so?"

"I was shopping for school supplies," he finished.

"School supplies? For what?" I laughed.

"College."

"You graduated two years ago, saying that you will never go to college, why the change of mind?" I asked, setting my fork down.

"In Florida, I looked up colleges in the area and found one near grandma's beach house. I sent an application that day and my acceptance letter came in today," he explained, flicking his eyes between me and the food, trying to avoid my burning eyes.

"Your joking, right?"

"That's not the response I was hoping for, but no, I'm not," he sighed.

"Let me get this straight. You sent in an application in June to a college in Florida and just yesterday you received feedback from the school?" I gawked.

"Correct."

"And you didn't tell me about this?" I asked.

"I wanted to make sure I got a place first," he shrugged.

"Did dad know?"

"Yes," he swung his head low.

"What's your game plan?" I angrily stood up.

"Calm down sweetie," my mother reassured.

"Grandma agreed to me staying with her for five years of college. I am taking a business course and hoping that after college I'll be able to afford my own place in a different city in Minnesota," Caden explained, calmly.

"Five years of college!" I yelled. "Your telling me all this now and expect me to be all holly-jolly about it?" I added, brushing my hand through my hair in frustration.

"I knew you'd be upset, but I was given a chance to attend a school that will help me in the future," he calmly stated.

"I am so happy that you got accepted, in fact, I am proud of you. But the fact that you're telling me this so close to the school year and that you'll disappear just like that when September rolls round, that upsets me. Might as well just call you Joe, you're growing up just like him, leaving!" I spat before I realized what I just said.

"Isabella!" My mother yelled, shooting up from her seat.

"Have fun in Florida. Send a postcard or something," I finalised, throwing my napkin on the table, grabbing my car keys and bag and bolted out the door.

I know I was harsh, but can you blame me? Caden, my brother who's always been there, is leaving for Florida that, let me remind you, is miles away from Minnesota.

He said that he will come back and live in Minnesota, but let's get real here, he'll
Most likely live in Arizona or possibly the Caribbeans.

Then he'll randomly show up when I'm a grown up adult with kids and apologize for missing all my accomplishments I've achieved while he was gone. Like father like son.