17 | s e v e n t e e n

the plane landed smoothly at the airport. we grabbed our bags and headed to meet josh.

i saw him in the distance and ran towards him and jumping into his arms.

" okay so josh this is freja, tom, max and harvey. " i say letting go and introducing everyone.

" so you're the harvey she wouldn't shut up about " josh said turning towards harvey.

i gave him a quick elbow in the arm to indicate for him to shut up. we grabbed our bags and headed to josh's car.

" ah shit. only five seats and six of us. " josh said unlocking his car.

" i'll walk " i say giving everyone a smile before setting off on my walk.

as i was walking away, i saw harvey start to talk to josh. i couldn't make out any of the details but i could see harvey scratching the back of his neck which only ment he was gonna ask or say something that could end out to be awkward.

" i'm home " i called as i opened the door.

my mum's shoes clicked on the floor as she ran as fast as she could in my direction. she quickly embraced me into a hug and gave me a kiss on my forehead.

" you okay? " mum asked pulling away and looking bad.

i knew what she was thinking. she didn't want me to come home as much as i didn't want to.

" mum. i'm fine. oh and quick question, do you have a few spare beds? " i ask as i hear the car pull up outside the house.

a slight chuckle came from her mouth and a smile appeared on her face. i walked through into the house and saw my dad sat on the sofa watching a soccer game. i didn't even bother saying hello to him. he would just start yelling and make me have a fucking panic attack.

since the day i got sick, everytime my dad got angry at me, my emotions got switched up but a tousand. i start crying heavily, i struggle with my breathing and i begin to shake but i can't stop it. sometimes i can't even move properly. that doesn't stop him though. whenever he can, josh stays home with me so that doesn't happen.

" hey tess. can i talk to you for a moment. outside. now. " tom called as he saw me and my dad in the same room.

i ran after him and we all sat in a circle on the grass in my garden.

" max, truth or dare? " i ask.

" seriously? "

" seriously. "

"okay then. truth. " he said.

i look at him and within a few seconds i have a question.

" why the fuck did you date natasha? " i ask.

the question caused four pairs of eyes to land on max making him slightly uncomfortable so a couple of us looked at the bush behind him.

" i thought i liked her and i thought she liked me. turns out neither were true but i have freja now " he answered quickly trying to take up at least amount of time as possible.

" bla bla bla. enough of the romantic crap " tom said rolling his eyes.

" okay tom. who do you have a crush on? " freja asked.

this is where it gets awkward. we never really talked about tom's love life. and i think he liked it that way.

for a moment there were no words or movement from anyone.

" can a guy have some privacy? " he said without making eye contact with any of us.

" hey tess. sorry about how you just got back but it is kinda late and it is time to go. " josh called from the door.

i looked around the circle. they all gave me looks to go but with me being me, it took a little longer than needed.

i gave max and freja a hug and harvey a kiss on the lips. for a moment i just sat next to tom. in the end, i gave him a slight kiss on his cheek, stood up and walked into the house.

" here we go " i whisper to myself.

»«
okay so this bit and the next few chapters are just setting up for something to actually happen in the story. please bare with me 😂

-charlie