Admit It

I spend the rest of the early afternoon laying, sprawled on my bed, thinking about my father. His curse seemed as though the witch made him fall in love with her, so that she could gain power. I cringe with disgust. I hear a knock.

"Come in," I growl. It's Dameon.

"Hello, love," he says. I throw a half-smile his way. "Did she find out anything? You seem quite dazed."

"No, she didn't. It wasn't even her. My dad wanted to see me." His face lights up.

"Really? How'd that go?"

"Horrid. Completely horrid. I'm that lucky girl that gets to figure out that my own father has a curse on him, to make him think that he's in love with her," I explain. Dameon looks down and places his hand on mine.

"I'm sorry I asked," he apologizes. I sigh.

"No, it's alright. I needed to get that out. I've been thinking about it all day." Before he could respond, I continue. "I know I have to break it, I must. If I don't, my father will just live this terrible life for the rest of his. Tending to the witch's needs? What life is that?" My eyes bulge when I realize that he tends to her needs, as well.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Dameon," I say. He smirks.

"No, I don't really tend to her anymore. I tend to you."

"It's basically the same thing, though," I point out, trying to make my apology more appropriate.  Dameon shakes his head.

"No, Katherine. I love working for you. You're not like that witch. You're kind, nice, sweet... and quite beautiful, I may add." I can feel myself blush. He shoots me a dashing smile and I have to look away in order to stay focused.

"I have to tell you something," I say. His face lights up.

"Anything."

"I think it's time for me to tell her who I am." Dameon springs up and stands in front of me as if he saw a phantom.

"No, Katherine, you can't do that!" he shouts. "You'll suffer, remember? The curse? I don't want to see you suffer. Not in a million years."

"It may be the only way to snap my father out of his curse," I point out. He rolls his blue eyes.

"How would watching you suffer save him from anything?"

"That's just it. I know my real dad is in there, so if he watches me get hurt, he'll be so outraged deep inside, it will cause that rage to come out! It's like an inside-out, outside-in effect, Dameon. It will work."

"Can't I just try and undo the spell myself? You know what I am."

"I can't risk you getting caught. She probably has the power to track down whoever breaks her magic. If she figures out it's you, then..." I trail off.

"I don't care what happens to me, Katherine. I want to help you." He sits down next to me and tangles his hand in my hair.

"Dameon, stop!" I shout, pulling away from him. He widens his eyes. "I'm doing what I think is right. And that's final."

We sit in silence for a long time, with shaken breath.

"Why'd you come in here anyway?" I ask.

"You're invited to dinner tonight at 7:00 with the queen," he mumbles, and walks towards the door.

"I decline the invitation," I say automatically. He turns around and leans against the doorframe.

"You have to," Dameon urges. I roll my eyes.

"Why?"

"Because I'm taking you." I raise my eyebrows, and he throws a small box at me gently. "Wear that." He smiles at me and turns out of the room.

He comes back after 5 seconds. "And I advise you to try and look beautiful, Beautiful."

-------------

HOW I PICTURE CRISPIN ON THE SIDE ->