Chapter 42

Third person pov

Arron didn't relax, although she wasn't as scared as she was when they first got in. She stayed near the fence, listening closely for any sounds that could indicate that a stranger was lurking about. She also allowed her eyes to scan the large fences around them, her eyes bright and alert. Ino seemed to have given up on trying to get her to relax and was now jabbering away.

"I can't believe you admitted to wanting to see Shikamaru..." She lowered her voice as low as it would go. "Naked." 

Arron tilted her head at the girl. Was that so odd? From what she'd learned, when you found someone attractive, you wanted to see them naked. And do other things, obviously. However, she well aware that doing "those things" in this society wasn't something you did with just anyone. She'd always known it was only something you were meant to do with your marital spouse, or romantic partner at least. 

And it was meant to be completely consensual and pleasurable for both parties. 

"Ah, Shikamaru... boeth." Arron offered. On the other side of the fence, Asuma began to cough profusely. Ino's eyebrows immediately shot up in question as Arron struggled to find the right word. It was a simple word that she knew well, but it was just slipping her mind.

"What's that mean?" Arron heard Shikamaru ask. The word came to her.

"Ah," Ino perked up as the black-haired girl whispered. "Eh... Spicy?" She tried quietly. She shook her head. "Hot?" 

"Oh my god." Ino whispered back, sputtering slightly in surprise. "Have you told him?"

Arron blinked and tilted her head slightly. Was she supposed to? She didn't remember reading that in the book on socialization Inoichi had given her. She and Shikamaru were reading it together, as it was not in her mother language. Never did it say anything about telling people how physically attractive they were. In fact, she was quite sure that was considered inappropriate. 

"You haven't." Ino sulked. 

"Hey, we're gonna get out, guys! Asuma-sensei says the heat's getting to him!" Choji called from beyond the fence. Arron immediately began to scoot towards where her towel sat, folded at the edge of the hot spring. Ino scrambled to follow, not quite done getting all the juicy details of Arron's attraction to Shikamaru.

Arron was hesitant to get out of the water, glancing about fearfully as though someone might pop out. Her chest squeezed as her hand snaked out of the water to grab her towel. Ino climbed out with no problems, grabbing her towel as she went and making a bee line for her clothes. Arron scrambled to follow. What if something, or someone, dragged her under the water? She didn't want that to happen. Not again.

She dried herself faster than Ino did, and was pulling on her clothing before the Yamanaka could blink. "Hey, slow down! There's no rush." The girl assured. "Everything okay!"

"Shikamaru." Arron said simply, pulling her shirt over her head. Ino sighed but smiled anyway, seeming to understand. Arron was glad. Ino wasn't so bad. She was quite nice, actually. Not as nice as Shikamaru, of course. Shikamaru was the nicest, kindest person she knew. There's no way anyone could ever compete with him. 

"What's so 'boeth' about him anyway?" Ino didn't see it, but she wanted to keep Arron talking. This was good. Conversation. The girl was making amazing progress amazingly fast. It was as if she was transforming into a completely different person! She was getting comfortable here in Konoha, and that was a good thing. She was coming out of her shell! 

Arron tried to think of the appropriate word. She knew one, but it was quite vulgar and she did not wish to repeat it. Her nose scrunched up when she realized she didn't know the word. "Nhin." She offered. Ino stared at her blankly, pulling her shirt down. Yeah, she had absolutely no idea what that meant. 

"Can you... uh, show me? Like, point or something..." Ino shrugged, not sure what else to say. Arron nodded simply as though it were no big deal. Ino had to admit that she was curious. What did Arron, a girl who was afraid of men and people in general, find hot about Shikamaru? If Ino had been through half of what Arron had, she would never want to look at another person ever again!

They exited to find the boys waiting there. Arron immediately rejoined Shikamaru, pressing himself to his side. The Nara avoided eye contact with his team as Arron poked at his face and lifted up his shirt to look under it, as if to check if he was okay. She patted his sides, and looked behind him. When she was done, she looked at Ino.

Ino blinked as Arron looked down. Not down at the ground, but at Shikamaru's... well, at his ass. Ino blinked as Arron's eyes seemed to narrow, as though she were amused somehow. It was actually sort of fascinating. "Nice." She nodded, looking back to Ino. The Yamanaka burst into a fit of laughter that made Arron jump and push herself up against Shikamaru again. 

"Ino, why are you laughing?" Choji seemed just as lost as everyone else.

"Yeah. And what's nice? The hot spring?" Shikamaru asked. Arron looked him dead in the eyes.

"Nhin." 

Asuma sputtered, his eyes widening. "Ino!" The man shrieked, his eyes wide in horror. "What did you do?!"