Chapter 30

Shout out to Kiki_Kitsuki who's been reading my stories for like... I don't know, ever. And her comments have always had "^_^" This face in them and I love it so much I don't know why but she's great. Go check out her photography book! She's taken some really cool and gorgeous photos!

Third person pov

Dinner was understandably put off for the time being, and Team Asuma and the Nara's all gathered in the living room. Arron was still clinging to Asuma, and Asuma was still clinging to her. Trexx just awkwardly stood in the doorway, not quite sure what to do with himself. He felt like maybe he shouldn't interrupt, and he knew he'd probably make a racket if he tried to fit through the doorway.

"She's your goddaughter." Ino awed, staring a the girl curled up in her sensei's arms. Asuma, eyes red-rimmed from crying, offered a smile as he gazed down at Arron. Shikamaru sat on the other side of the couch, gazing with a certain amount of salt in his gaze as Arron clung to Asuma. He wasn't trying to be a jealous twat... he just was.

"This is amazing. I suppose that means you'll be taking custody of her?" Yoshino asked. Shikamaru tensed considerably, and Choji pressed his lips together. Neither of the boys liked this. Asuma couldn't just take Arron away... right? All that time Shikamaru had spent with her... would it just go away like it was never there to begin with? He didn't want it to. 

"Yeah... Yeah, I guess so." Asuma's eyes lit up, and he looked down at Arron. "You hear that Arron? You're going to be living with me!"

Arron froze, yanking back from Asuma like he was fire soon after. Ino let out a gasp, as did Yoshino as the girl toppled back onto the floor and right out of his lap. Shikamaru lurched forward slightly, eyes wide as Arron hopped up like a scared cat, hackles raised and eyes wide. She dove for Shikamaru.

Shikamaru caught her readily, glancing at the crestfallen Asuma as Arron grasped to him, her legs wrapping around his torso. She rested her head on his shoulder, clenching her eyes shut. They were just going to take her again! She knew it. She remembered Asuma, but hadn't seen him in a long time. What if he was a bad man to? How could she have been so dumb?! They were all just trying to take her from Shikamaru! Shikamaru was the only one she could trust... and maybe Choji a little bit. Sometimes.

"Arron..." Asuma trailed off as Arron buried her face in Shikamaru's shoulder. The Nara smiled an awkward sort of smile, and Shikaku, who'd been silent and calculating the whole time, sighed heavily. He knew this would happen. Arron had become far too attached to Shikamaru, and hadn't seen Asuma in a long time. 

"She's got an unhealthy attachment to Shikamaru, as you can see." Shikaku said simply. "She's chosen to trust him and hates to be separated from him. While he's at training, she spends the entire day in a closet with Trexx there, refusing to come out until he gets back. She's still scared of just about everybody but him, and will only communicate with Inoichi during therapy sessions through a walkie-talkie."

"I see..." Asuma said sadly, turning his gaze to his smartest student. Shikamaru rubbed Arron's back, muttering soothing words to her while avoiding the eyes of his parents and Ino, who was gazing at them like they were something out of a fairytale. Trexx snorted. He'd fallen asleep standing up again-

"It's not healthy." Choji admitted. "But she really, really trusts Shikamaru! That's good that she has someone, right?" 

"It is, it is." Asuma nodded. "But her spending all day in a closet can't be good for her health. Is there no way you can get her to go outside, or at least sit by a window?" Asuma frowned. He knew too much time had passed for Arron to completely trust him anymore, and the girl seemed to have realized that he was different now than he was back then. 

"We've tried everything. Even Shikamaru has asked her to come out while he's gone via walkie-talkie, but she even refuses him." Yoshino said sadly. Shikaku nodded in agreement, still eyeing his son, who continued to comfort Arron. It seemed Shikamaru was almost as attached to Arron as Arron was to him.

"Well she feels safe around Shikamaru, right? She likes to be with him?" Ino asked, sitting up slightly. "Why doesn't she just come with him? She can sit under a tree and watch us train."

Asuma thought about it for a moment. "You know... That isn't a bad idea, Ino. It would get her out of the house, and expose her more to the outside world. Help her get used to it. Hiding in a closet certainly can't be helping her get better." Asuma said, looking to Shikaku.

"I agree. While it's not ideal that she intrudes on your training sessions and missions, it would be a good way to get her out of the house. Arron is a good kid. She won't cause you trouble unless she feels truly threatened." Shikaku agreed. Shikamaru tried to hide how ecstatic he felt that Arron would get to come with him to training everyday. 

"So she's coming to training?" Choji asked, excited. Asuma smiled a small smile and nodded, still seemed rather sad, which was understandable. Arron was his goddaughter, and she seemed not to trust him as she once did. 

"Arron, you hear that?" Shikamaru asked. Everyone turned to him. "You get to come to training with me every day."

Arron pulled her face out of his shoulder, blinking at him. Shikamaru raised his eyebrows at her as she stared into his eyes, seemed a little confused about the whole thing. "With Shikamaru?" She whispered, tilting her head slightly.

"Yeah, with me." Shikamaru nodded. Arron's eyes widened, and she hugged him again, only this time you could tell it was because she was happy.