Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto. And please don't ask for updates because, and I know this sucks, it makes me not wanna update.

Warning: Implied rape and mention of date rape drugs

Third person pov

"Someone has entered the Nara clan forest. Shikamaru and Yoshino felt it too." Shikaku told the members of the Nara council. The head family of the Nara clan could feel when people entered and exited their forests, and someone had clearly set foot in their Konoha one. "I see. Are you going to go check it out?" One asked, stroking his beard lazily. "Yes. I plan to go alone, as the chakra that entered isn't very large. It's clearly a child, although they haven't left yet." Shikaku told them. 

"Perhaps it's a lost child?" The only woman of the council tried. "Perhaps. And they entered the Konoha forest, correct?" Marikai was by far the youngest of the council, being Yoshino's cousin. "Yes." Shikaku said. "Let me come with you. I can help." Marikai insisted. Shikaku scratched his cheek for a moment. "...Alright. I don't see why you can't tag along." The clan head decided, turning towards the door. Marikai scurried to get out of his seat, following closely after the man.

Konoha was rather hot today, the sun beating down mercilessly on the inhabitants of the large village. Shikaku wiped some sweat off his brow and they entered the Nara forest. It was serenely quiet, although there was the occasional ruffle in the trees, or tweet of a bird. They were all noises the pair of Nara were used to, and greatly enjoyed. "They're just this way." Shikaku told him. This whole ordeal was such a drag. Surely the kids of Konoha knew not to enter the white fence, right? 

They trudged through the wooded area silently, Marikai awing at how cool his cousin in-law was. He greatly looked up to Shikaku, striving for his utter intelligence and calm-headed nature. Being around him, working with him like this, it was a dream come true. Shikaku even promoted him onto the council, and while that took a while, it still happened. Shikaku had made it happen, and Marikai had been overjoyed. Before then, he wasn't sure if Shikaku noticed him or not. Knowing that he did gave the young man a sense of great satisfaction, and a drive. He wanted to be great and powerful, yet humble just as Shikaku was. 

"We're getting close." Shikaku said in a hushed tone, crouching slightly. Marikai copied the man's movements as they crept closer and closer to where the intruder was located. Shikaku could tell they'd stopped moving. They were being completely still, almost too still for Shikaku's liking. Were they lying in wait, ready to pounce? Perhaps the child had stopped to rest, if it even was a child. There were things you could do to make your chakra smaller, although you'd be almost no use in a fight if it came to using a medicine like that.

The came into a small parting in the trees, and Shikaku immediately paused, holding out his hand as a signal for Marikai to stop. "What is it?" The man whispered. "Shh." Shikaku didn't look away from what was in front of him. Marikai did as he was told dutifully, acting as a puppy might. Shikaku crept forward, stepping lightly as he approached the limp figure. He slowly crouched down, pulling out a kunai as he did so. He prodded the shoulder of what was most definitely a little girl. She rolled onto her back.

"My God." Shikaku whispered. Behind him, Marikai turned around to avoid looking at the horrifying sight. Lying there unconscious, possibly dead, was a little girl. Shikaku couldn't help but notice that she was nearly Shikamaru's age, maybe a little younger. The blood between her legs was evident. Her clothes were torn, she was covered in mud as well as scratches, and her feet were a mess. Her breaths came out shallow and quick, but she was stable. Shikaku inspected her arms.

"There's a needle prick here. She's been drugged." The clan head stood up. "What do we do with her?" Marikai questioned. "Go inform the rest of the council, and then ask what to do next. I'll take her to my house so Yoshino can inspect her... man, this is a drag." Shikaku said, shaking his head. "Shouldn't she go to the hospital?" Marikai questioned hesitantly. "I don't know her mental state, and Yoshino was a pediatrician. She's clearly been exposed to she date rape drug. These needle markings aren't fresh. If she had been given a lethal dosage, she'd have been dead by now." He explained. Marikai's face heated with embarrassment. He shouldn't have questioned Shikaku's judgment and orders. 

"Of course. I apologize for questioning your choices." Marikai bowed. Shikaku waved him off. "Just go do as I said, Kid. Don't worry about it." Shikaku didn't even look at him, instead carefully reaching down the lift up the girl. She was so small, and clearly malnourished. Shikaku cringed a little at how light she was. Marikai turned and darted off through the woods, determined to do what his leader had asked.

Shikaku didn't go too fast. The girl was probably in pain, and he didn't want to risk jostling her too much. He also didn't want to place her in a hospital. This girl... it was quite clear she'd been through quite the ordeal, and had to fight and run to escape. It was a saddening sight, and he didn't want to put in such a scary place. He knew that if he were violated and then ended up running for his life and passing out in the woods, he wouldn't want to wake up surrounded by fake smiles, needles and other things. The hospital honestly wasn't the place for a damaged child such as this one.

So on he trudged, determined to help the poor girl.

~

What do you think of Marikai? Is he a bit off, or does he just really, really look up to Shikaku?

How am I doing writing Shikaku? Is he in character?