E P I L O G U E

One Of A Kind

Epilogue

Not Edited

~ Sage Preston's POV ~

6 years later

The Coyotes hit the winning goal of the championship game and I was on my feet in an instant with the many other sports reporters to get a story.

My heels clicked against the floor and I cringed at the sound. Stupid dresscode. Why the hell did I have to dress like this? A grey pantsuit and heels. Ugh. This was defiantly not me.

Becoming a professional athlete is not an easy task and it's not for everyone. It turned out, it wasn't for me. I broke my leg about 3 years ago. Haven't been able to play professionally since.

But I did the next best thing. Report on it. The dress policy was the only downside.

I was squished into a crowd of reporters. All fighting to get a quote from one of the winning players.

"Gotta push harder if you want to make it in a man's game" A friend of mine, another woman reporter laughed.

"That's always how it is, huh?" I laughed back.

I left Viewpoint 6 years ago. I lived at college, got an apartment by myself my senior year and that's just how it's been. I've been back home 2 or 3 times. I still talk to my siblings and friends but I never belonged in Viewpoint.

I belonged in the world. Doing things that didn't fit the mold Viewpoint had for everyone.

I've been single since Benjamin and I broke up a year into our freshman year of college. I've been on a few dates here and there, but nothing stuck and I was okay with that.

I didn't sent that love existed but I wasn't actively searching it out. I'm happy now.

Benjamin and I broke up because it wasn't working. Our official relationship started with a whole bundle of trust issues. He didn't trust me around Mick, who was planning on coming to the same college as me when he graduated and I didn't trust him around pretty, blonde cheerleaders. It was childish fear but we were children.

Sometimes I wondered if it would have worked out if we had went to the same college but those thoughts are never good. You can't change the past.

I actually haven't seen Benjamin in person since the spring break before we broke up. I have however seen him on television, in magazines and newspapers. He's one of the best hockey players in the league right now. I'm happy for him. He deserves it.

I broke my way past the crowd of male reporters and grabbed the first player I could. Without checking who it actually was.

"Can I get a quote for the Chicago Sports Journal?" I asked expecting the player to keep walking.

But he turned around and my eyebrows shot up.

"A quote?" His lips curled into the smile I had fallen in love with all those years ago. "How about 'I'm the best hockey player from Viewpoint'"

"I'm sorry, sir. I promised to only report the truth" I joked and he raised his eyebrows.

"Well, Miss. Preston. Call the Mayflower Hotel later and ask for me. I'll give you that interview"

Benjamin grinned at me and walked off with the rest of the team. Leaving me standing there with hot cheeks and a churning feeling in my stomach.

Maybe it'll work this time around...

The End.