S I X

One Of A Kind

Chapter Six

Not Edited

~ Sage Preston's POV ~

Today was that one day of hockey season where my parents dragged my entire family to come and watch me play. Why? We were playing against Westview, of course. Mom and Dad loved playing into the rivalry. No matter what sport it was.

They never came to any other game. Just this one. Maybe I should be upset by this but I'm not. I don't really care. Maybe it's because I'm not very close with them like everyone else is.

"Hey sweetheart" Mom peaked her head into May and I's bedroom. May was in the shower so it was just me.

"Hey Mom" I smiled as I got dressed.

"You excited?" Mom came and sat on my bed.

"I guess so. It's nothing that big. I've played against Westview before" I shrugged. "The goalie there is pretty good but I'm better"

"Of course you are. You're a Preston" Mom grinned and I laughed.

"Thanks Mom. Aren't you supposed to be getting everyone ready?" I asked.

"Everyone? You mean Sky?" Mom laughed. "She's all ready. She's out playing with Myrna"

I smiled at that. Myrna was Sky's best friend. They've been friends since their daycare days.

"It's so weird" Mom sighed.

"What is?" I asked.

"You're all grown up!" Mom exasperated. "You, your sister. The triplets. Eric and Matt are married and have their own kids. Summer is living in New York. Marc is in that boarding school. My kids don't need me anymore"

"Mom! What are you talking about? We all need you still!" I laughed.

"Oh yeah? I tried to tie Sky's shoes today and she told me that she could do it herself. Dad taught her! My baby doesn't even need me to tie her shoes!"

"Yeah but she still needs you to make her meals. She'll need you to teach her about boys and how to do make up. She'll probably be a cheerleader like you and she'll need you to teach her to drive" I smiled. "She still needs you for alot of things"

"I know" Mom laughed. "I know I just... I've spent so long with babies. Kids. Now almost every one of my kids are either grown or teenagers. Soon Sky will be right where you are. About to enter the real world. To start her own journey. And I'll just be able to watch from there"

"Mom. You do alot more than watch" I smiled. "Summer still calls you whenever she gets into a fight with Tony. And you know why, right? Because she still doesn't know what to do. She trusts that you do. Eric still needs you to help him when Marilyn is pregnant. He needs you to tell him what foods she should eat or whether or not yellow pee is 'good."

Mom laughed at Eric's crazy questions about his pregnant wife.

"And Matt. Matt has no idea how to run that diner. He calls you whenever he messes up a meal or needs financial advice. Just because we don't need you to tie our shoes doesn't mean we don't need you for anything. You're our Mom" I smiled.

"But you. You're so independent and you're so smart. You're not gonna need me" Mom rubbed my arm.

"Mom, of course I need you" I hugged her. "I'm always gonna need my mom"

"I love you" Mom said and I could hear that she was getting choked up.

"I love you too Mommy"