Problems

"Isn't it kinda late for Christmas shopping?" Chris inquired, quirking an eyebrow at his boyfriend's sigh of impatience. The busy square was bustling with activity, humans of all sorts of race and size cramped into stores and queues longer than their timelines.

"I wanted to treat my co-workers but I didn't get my cheque until today."

"On the 21st December?"

"Sadly, yes."

"That's criminal. They wouldn't mess you about like that in Australia, trust me."

"Aw, it's a shame I don't live there then, huh?"

Tom leaned close to his lover, cold lips grazing his. Chris shuddered, clamping a large hand around his neck. Time seemed to slow, their surroundings disappearing until all that existed was the other. Tom could never grow tired of Chris' presence. In fact, they hadn't left each other's sides since their arrival.

"I'll go somewhere... like, anywhere... but here." Liam stuttered, darting off faster than a steam train to get away from the rambunctious couple. Chris was just about to seal their lips when a snowball struck them square in the face.

The culprit was a rather intoxicated young man with a hilariously crimson snout, caused either from the cold or excessive alcohol consumption. He was swaying on the spot, seemingly impressed with his aim, judging by the cruel smirk on his ruddy chops.

"Fuck off with that gay shit," he slurred, pointing an accusatory finger in their faces. It took all of Chris' willpower not to bite it off, especially when Tom flinched away from it. "This is England!"

"I can see that," Chris deadpanned, standing in front of his boyfriend with his large arms across his chest. "Get gone, you little toad. This has nothing to do with you."

"Err, no," the guy grinned, peering behind the house-of-a-man and waggling his gloved hands in front of Tom's face. "What? Are you the woman in this relationship? Too much of a pussy to fight your own battles-,"

Chris yanked the man roughly away from them, vision clouded with anger. Who on Earth did this little gremlin think he was insulting his-,

"Go away, Harry," Tom barked from behind him, melting away from Chris' protection to stand with his arms crossed, and face stony. "Lords, you're still the conceited little swine you were in high school."

"And you're still the awkward little fag in my Biology class. What did you do to end up with steroid Barbie over here?" he grinned, smacking Tom on the upside of his head. Not enough to hurt, but enough to force a warning growl from Chris. "I don't recall anyone ever taking an interest in you. Apart from Lincoln, but you were more of a punching bag than a lover."

"Leave me alone," Tom sighed wearily, tired of the hate. Chris' firm hand on his shoulder relaxed him marginally. "I just want to be left alone."

"Yeah, you used to say that all the time. What does Diana think about your... boyfriend?"

"She's happy for me."

"Yeah, I'm sure. Nobody was ever happy for you, Hiddleston. You should know that by now."

"Please leave me alone."

Chris couldn't listen to it anymore. He tugged the lanky beauty into his side and kissed him lovingly on the lips. It wasn't crude or possessive, just soft and filled with care. The only thing that ruined it was the exaggerated retching in front of them.

Chris wrapped his fingers around the idiot's face and squeezed as hard as he could, grinning into the kiss as his pained screams wafted around them. Tom giggled. And then their peace was obliterated when a soft voice came from behind them.

"Tom?"

Tom snapped away, lips swollen and face bright red. Chris flittered his gaze between the two similar faces, a daunting understanding falling over him. Diana, Tom's mother.

"Mum," he gasped, eyes wide and looking so painfully frightened, it broke his heart. Chris just wanted to tuck him away and keep him smiling forever. "T-this... I,"

"You're still seeing him," she tittered, a frown seemingly a permanent feature on her otherwise pretty face. "Don't you remember what happened last time, honey? All they do is hurt you. Find yourself a nice lady to marry."

"Chris isn't like that," he growled. Diana narrowed her eyes at the tone, glaring at his partner with distrust.

"They all are, honey. They just can't seem to help it with you."

Oh, man. If that wasn't a slap to the face, Tom didn't know what was. He turned sharply away from his mother and pushed through the dimming crowds, cheeks stained with salty tears. She thought it was own fault, all the years of abuse he'd suffered, just because they couldn't help themselves.

The drunken man, Chris didn't bother trying to remember his name, chuckled softly, until he was punched square in the jaw.

"Shut your fucking mouth and leave," Chris said calmly, watching him scurry into the night. He turned his attention back to Diana Hiddleston, who seemed too calm after watching her son break down in tears. Her chin was held high, her gaze unwavering.

"Look-,"

"No," Chris spat, his neurons firing with anger. "All he wanted was to come out here, with me, and do a little shopping for his colleagues. Do you know why? Because he's kind. He's the most selfless, soft, beautiful and understanding soul that I have ever had the privilege of knowing. He's gay. So what? He's also your son, who you have completely degraded and outcasted because he doesn't fit into your prejudiced plan. I have never and will never lay a finger on him or say a word to make him feel bad, but you have. So tell me, who's in the wrong here?" Diana blinked uncomprehendingly and Chris continued. "He has completed my life, Miss Hiddleston, with his charming smile and unbelievable ability to understand the motives of his haters and abusers, and respect them for it. I've never met anybody stronger and I'm so proud to say that he is mine. Not yours, because you lost your right to call him your son after you kicked him out of his home for being who he was. I'll look after him and make sure he's happy until he takes his final breath, by my side. Do you understand? All of this homophobic bullshit is just that... Bull. Shit. Now we're going to go home and I'm going to mend his tattered mind because that's what you do for the people you love. All of their slights and imperfections shouldn't matter at all, because they are yours to love and fix unconditionally." He took a deep breath and decided that this skeptical woman wasn't worth anything else. "Good day."

He turned and stalked after his lover, leaving a very flustered and guilty woman on the cobbled stones.

He meant every word he'd said.