Renji shook his head. "Statistically speaking, that is not possible."

(Y/N) snorted in an unattractive way. "Oh come on Sensei, I got better. You have to admit." She wiggled her eyebrows.

Renji sighed. "Pride is the most powerful flaw."

"Wise ass." (Y/N) muttered with a playful roll of her (E/C) eyes. Renji simply chuckled in response.

As usual they stopped by a food stall and Renji watched with shock as (Y/N) once again inhaled the big bowl of food. It never ceased to amaze him, at how she managed to eat all that food in one go.

Afterwards they made their way back, Renji dropping her off halfway as they parted ways to their different wards.

"Next week Sensei?" (Y/N) chirped.

Renji's lips twitched up as he ruffled her silky hair.

She smiled brightly, like a kid receiving praise from her teacher. She waved vigorously as he walked away.

When he was finally out of sight, she smiled and turned around. Renji didn't know, no one did in fact, know that today was her birthday.

Instead of walking back home, to Anteiku, she made a short detour. (Y/N) went into an abandoned building a few blocks away from Anteiku. It was here where she brought Ayato to after that day at the ice rink. The day her feelings for him began to change.

She walked up the stairs and onto the roof. This place had the best view of the city and afternoon sunsets.

Leaning on the railing, she watched the son over the horizon. The sky was a colorful streak of orange, pink and purple, the sight was beautiful. A gentle breeze ruffled past her, making her hair dance in the wind and her clothes ruffle against her skin.

She tucked the strands of hair hovering over her (E/C) eyes gently behind her earlobes.

A sigh escaped her lips. Today was her birthday. It was also the anniversary of her parents death. But she liked to think of it as the day she first saw him.

Her lips curved up into a small smile, her glassy eyes reflecting the sunset. She nibbled on her bottom lip, a bit nervous.

"Hello Ayato-kun." She began, stopping when she realized her voice was shaky. She swallowed and tried to steady her voice.

"Hey Ayato-kun." She liked the steadiness of her voice, so she continued. "So it's been three years since I last saw your face and a few months since I last spoke to you."

Of course she didn't speak to him in person, but she believed that somehow, her soft voice was carried by the wind, scattered and would somehow find him. That was false belief, but it made her feel better when she spoke his name and pretended that he was there listening.

"I'm guessing you know what today is. Or you probably don't, to you it might be as insignificant as a petty fly, but to me you changed my destiny . . . I don't even know why I keep doing this, I'm talking to myself." She laugh humorlessly. She stopped and licked her dry lips, knowing the lump in her throat would betray her.

She cleared her throat. "I only do this when there's nothing of you to hold on to. Your room is still there. I clean it every Saturday. But it's different. Without your presence, it just feels like an ordinary room. I still have your oversized shirts, except now I've actually grown into them. Can you believe it? No longer the scrawny little shrimp." A soft wind breezed by and (Y/N) shivered. Though she was smiling, she knew there was no real happiness behind it, only a linger of sadness.

"I guess I just missed you. It's always like this during the anniversary. Wherever you are, I know you're safe. You might be cocky and arrogant, but I know you can very much protect yourself. I really miss you. Not sure if you still remember me though." She paused and leaned her head against her arm, resting her chin against it as her smile drops.

"I hope you come back one day. When you're done. When you feel like whatever you wanted to do has been finished. When that day comes, I'll be here. As I promised." She whispered with a sad smile.

With one last look at the suddenly overcast sky she sighed and leaves, not bothering to look back. If she did, she would've see a tall, lean figure move away in the shadows.

On her way home tries to stop thinking about him, but she knows its pointless because it's worser during her birthday. She tries to think of Cho and Aito, who recently just started dating, then she thinks of recent ghoul matters, like how she almost got killed by Rize if it weren't for Touka who almost sliced her up with her kegare. Rize was new and she was threatening. Her hunger never sufficed.

But Rize wasn't interested in (Y/N) because she wasn't like other weak humans, (Y/N) actually almost matched her in sword to kegare combat when she first arrive. Rize didn't like fussy food, not if it tried to kill her and that was actually what (Y/N) tried to do and almost succeeded if Rize hadn't eaten just recently.

She paused and her blood ran cold when she looked ahead and saw Rize. What a coincidence.

Her eyes narrowed and she tried not to snarl at the lavender haired ghoul. She looked even more human, with a delicacies smile and feminine charms. In her arms was a cute boy with straight dark hair and expressive grey eyes. He looked familiar.

Rize didn't even spare (Y/N) a glance as they walked by, but the boy did. Their eyes met and (Y/N) froze. This wasn't a stranger, that was Kaneki, Hide's best friend. She didn't know him well because he was always shy and almost never spoke to her, but he seemed sweet and caring enough for her to not want him to die in the hands of such a monster.

She instantly turned around but a hand grabbed her wrist. She suppressed a growl and turned around, her mouth fell open as she saw a familiar blue haired ghoul.

"T-Touka-chan, what are you d--"

"Don't be stupid. Do not let your human emotions get in the way of logic." Touka said coldly as she let go of the younger girls arm.

(Y/N) knew what Touka was referring to; her trying to chase after Rize and her newest meal. Of course she knew Touka was right but her compassion for Kaneki overruled her.

"But I know him, Touka-chan, he doesn't deserve to die." She tried protesting.

"So you were prepared to throw your life on the line for him. You do know Rize is incredibly powerful, and she would've killed you and that boy." Touka said. "You're lucky I caught your scent close."

(Y/N) frowned and looked down. She didn't like the guilt that seemed to eat away at her insides. The hopelessly love stricken face of Kaneki was now imprinted in her head. She tried not to wonder what his face would've looked like when he realised it was all a trick, that she was just trying to lure him in for a quick snack. It made her sick to the stomach.

Touka watched the younger girl's expression drop as she averted her gaze to the ground and fidgeted with her fingers. Touka almost fell sorry for saying that, but she had to, she needed to train (Y/N) to be strong and not give in to sympathy because that was a weak tool and could only get her killed. (Y/N) had a big heart and she could jump in front of a moving train to save one kid, Touka was unsure whether that was a flaw or a quality. But she knew, that that was what made (Y/N) unique, she had a big heart.

"Come on kiddo. You have school tomorrow." Touka said, trying to change the subject as she linked arms with (Y/N) and gently tugged her forward.

(Y/N) nodded and let Touka guide her away. She tried her best not to look back, but she flinched when she heard a loud gurgling scream at the back of her head.