[10]

"Everyone needs a friend Ayato-kun, even if you're a ghoul. You saved my life. Now let me return the favour."

Ayato clenched his fist, his jaw tightening. Flashes of her smiling face and the way her hair whipped around her face and danced gracefully in the wind still fresh in his mind.

She was a mystery. Ayato thought that humanity had wiped out all the good ones. But she was the purest human he had ever had the pleasure of encountering. He knew she was breaking down his barriers slowly, and maybe he was alright with that. Maybe.

What happened yesterday penetrated his barrier more than he could care to admit. Her words and her smile cut through like a thousand sharp knives. Ayato wondered how someone could be so pure and sweet even after witnessing something so grotesque. Maybe it was a human quality that ghouls couldn't obtain. Or maybe it was her special quality.

He picked up an empty plate on table 5, his thoughts not even set on his task of collecting plates on the tables. He wasn't sure why sometimes he found his thoughts occupied by the shrimp. She was bubbly and cheerful and annoying. Not to mention she ate a mile a minute.

Yet why did it seem as if he cared about her enough to want to drop her off and pick her up after school everyday. He kept persuading himself it was because she was doing all his work and he needed her around if he wanted to laze in his room frequently, but really he knew deep down that he didn't wanna see her get hurt.

He dropped the plates by the sink in the staffing room and walked back out.

Irimi was mopping the east side of the shop and Enji was behind the counter, wiping the cups clean while Touka was taking order from the old ghoul couple that just walked in. The Manager left earlier on with Mr Yomo for some ghoul business down at ward 18.

There was a fair share of customers in today. Only two human girls but the rest of them were ghouls, sipping the only thing edible apart from flesh and blood; coffee.

The bell chimed, signalling Ayato that someone was walking in. Ayato ignored it and kept walking towards one of the empty tables.

"Ayato-kun!" A loud girly voice exclaimed. Ayato froze, wincing at the loudness of her voice and turned, a bit shocked at hearing her voice here when she should've been in school.

His eyes widened when he saw her flying to him at top speed. Before he could yell at her to stop she was on him. Tackling him to the floor.

"I missed you so much Ayato-kun!" (Y/N) squealed hugging the life out of him while he squirmed and was literally struggling for his life.

"I just saw you fifteen minutes ago women!" He screamed but it went to no avail as she hugged him tighter, a wide grin on her face with her eyes closed shut cutely while he was struggling as if there was no tomorrow.

Touka laughed at Ayato's misery, the two were practically wrestling on the floor by now---Ayato trying to escape from (Y/N) while she seemed happy and content while hugging the life out of him.

Enji and Irimi exchanged a glance and smiled knowingly.

"Dammit shrimp did you get demonized at school or something?!"

"No actually there was a priest in school yesterday." She stated matter-of-factly. Ayato took the opportunity to try to get away from her. He almost crawled away when she realized he was crawling away and leaped on him  resuming her position of suffocating him with a bear hug.

The old couple Touka was serving smiled at the two. The wife nudged the old man's arm. "Oh look dear. Young love. Aren't they just the cutest? Having their first ever lovers quarrel."

Ayato cheek turned a bright red at what the old women was implying as he immediately pushed (Y/N) off of him, holding her head as she struggled to get to him like an adult stopping a child from trying to reach for something. "W-we're not dating! W-we're just friends!!" He stuttered out. His cheeks bright red and sweat dropping.

(Y/N) stopped struggling and sat frozen. Her mouth agape and her eyes wide as she stared at him in shock and another emotion he couldn't identify.

Ayato saw the look on her face and winced, now in an even more complicated spot.

"Shit. T-that's not what I meant (Y/N)--"

"You said it." She whispered softly, blinking. "Yess!! He called me his friend!!" She exclaimed and stood up and started doing sumersaults and back flips with a weird robot dance.

He face palmed while (Y/N) celebrated with Enji by tap dancing on the counter while one of the customers brought out a guitar and started strumming.

"I'm Ayato-kun's friend!" (Y/N) exclaimed joyously as she danced with Enji.

"W-where did the guitar and pom poms come from?" He muttered, perplexed at the pom poms Touka held in her hands as she joined the celebration.

Soon half the customers were joining the weird celebration and they didn't even know what they were celebrating.

"I'm surrounded by idiots." He muttered with a dawning look on his face.