[11]

A/N; Their both 12 by the way.

____

It had been almost an year and Ayato was diligent with his promise to pick (Y/N) up after school and dropping her off.

Every morning when he did drop her off, Cho would be right by the entrance of the school, waiting for the two.

It was like routine, she'd tease them about how cute they looked walking together and Ayato would call her blind banshee, to which she usually yells something insulting back and the two would banter for a few minutes before (Y/N) has to jump between the two in case Cho pounces on Ayato for calling her short. Of course he hadn't met Aito yet because he was always late and usually the last one to leave school.

In the afternoon she leaves school five minutes before everyone else so she doesn't keep him waiting, so when he arrives they're leaving immediately.

(Y/N) felt like she succeeded in life, as if she won a gold medal or climbed Mt. Everest in an hour, ever since Ayato admitted that they were friends. Okay, maybe it wasn't exactly a direct answer and more or so a panicked blurt but that was better than nothing--correction waaayy better than nothing.

She was ecstatic. Her one goal was completed. Now to move in to the seconds phrase; which consisted of taking this friendship relationship to the next level. Best friends.

She felt somewhat closer to him somehow, like she was finally bringing down his wall and all she had to do was take care of the defense military. It was as complex as that in her head because Ayato was unlike anyone she ever met. He was cold and harsh, angry at the world, yet she could see a part of him that he thought wasn't visible. A part of him that he thought he always hid so well. She saw him, not this tough facade he put up as a representation of himself, but the real Ayato. She'd catch a glimpse of him, whether in a faint smile, an annoyed expression or when his beautiful purple blue orbs softened as he gazed at her. And she was determined to make sure that it lasted more than just a split second.

Touka had told her what happened to both of them. It was tragic and unfair. No wonder Ayato seemed so bitter and hated the world; he was robbed of his parents just because they weren't human. It seemed unfair for that to happen to someone that was so sweet and childish. It changed him.

(Y/N) remembered what Touka said when she asked what Ayato was like before their parents were gone.

She remembered the sad smile and her distant eye's as she spoke, "he was cheerful, and carefree. Always smiling, seeing the positive side of everything. So optimistic and childish and innocent of the world's hatred to our kind. He was happy, something he rarely is now. I kinda miss that sparkle in his eye's when he laughed, and smiled."

"Kinda?" (Y/N) had asked. She knew that she'd give anything to see Ayato laugh and smile with that special sparkle in his beautiful blue eyes, or to see him carefree and cheerful and happy.

Touka smile and said, "kinda because I see flashes of that sparkle in his eyes when he's with you. I hope someday you wipe that scowl of his face so he can smile just like he used to before. I know you will. You're already doing it without even realizing it."

"Focus." A stern voice commanded before a the base of his foot connected with her stomach and sent her flying into the air.

She landed with a thud, luckily for her, she landed on the ground instead of on the concrete wall. Groaning she got up, spitting out blood.

Renji tilted his head to the side as he assessed the young girl. She improved drastically, almost but a worthy opponent in just two years, but now she didn't seem as focused on the task at hand. Her eyes seemed distant and her movements were lacking precision and grace.