[15]

"You're leaving Anteiku?!" (Y/N) exclaimed, her voice slightly cracking.

They were standing outside Anteiku. Renji, with a bag in his hand. When (Y/N) had heard the news that Renji was leaving, she dropped everything she was doing and ran out after him as quick as her legs could carry her.

Renji sighed and nodded. She'd said that for the sixth time now.

"B-but why?" She asked softly, her eyes glassy.

"This place is not for me. I would've left a long time ago but you were still training. Now you're already capable of protecting yourself. I have to leave." He said softly.

She didn't say anything. She looked up to him. He was like a real father-figure to her. And now he was leaving.

Her bottom lip quivered and a tear escaped her eye's. Renji frowned and pulled her into a hug.

She sniffed and cried in his arms. She didn't care that she was making a scene outside of Anteiku.

"I-I'll miss you Sensei." She choked out.

Renji smiled fondly as he rubbed her back. "I'll miss you too, kid."

She sniffed and pulled away. "Come back for a visit sometime, will you?"

Renji nodded, still smiling softly at the girl.

She managed a smile of her own.

"Goodbye," he said and turned to leave.

"Goodbye." She muttered back and watched as he walked away.

She bit the inside of her cheeks to stop herself from crying. Then she suddenly felt a hand on her shoulder, patting it softly.

She looked to the owner of the hand and her eyes met with Ayato.

"He'll be fine shrimp." He said.

She hugged him, burying her face on his chest as she cried. "I-I'm just gonna really, r-really miss him."

Ayato sucked in a deep breath and awkwardly pat her back.

He was always akward whenever she got all touchy-feely. Even though she had surprised him numerous times by hugging him, he still couldn't quite get used to feeling her against him so closely.

He could smell her shampoo as he played around with her hair as she hugged him and cried. He felt guilty somehow. He should be whispering soothing words into her ears and trying to cheer her up, instead he enjoyed the warmth her body brought and felt content with playing with her smooth and silky hair.

After she stopped sniffing she pulled away. Her cheeks and nose were red from crying.

"He'll still come by." Ayato said.

She didn't respond. She was looking ahead, into the sky. Daylight was quickly slipping away, soon it would be nightfall.

"This doesn't mean he's gone forever." He said.

She sighed and nodded, mostly to himself. "Yeah. I'm just gonna really miss him."

He nodded in understanding. "Come on, it's getting dark. Let's go back inside."

She nodded and followed him back inside Anteiku.

Since Touka was going to school now as well, this meant they didn't have much extra time off.

(Y/N) didn't really feel like making herself something to eat later on that nignt, so she went straight to bed.

As soon as her head it the pillow, she was out.