NOT ANYMORE.

Chapter:26

Both men stood motionless for so long, silence fell upon them so much that the sounds of their heartbeats could be heard. Athesmos back to Lord Xrysos.

"It's best you leave!" Xrysos spoke.

"Why?"

"I can't kill you doesn't mean my men wouldn't."

"You'll let them?" Athesmos voice filled with surprise.

"Yes, Athesmos."

"You love me!"

"Not anymore." Xrysos picked up his sword and pointed it at the other's back.

"Is it because of him?" Athesmos faced Xrysos.

"Him?" Xrysos asked shocked.

"Anderios!" Anger evident in the man's tone.

"I love him, yes. But he's not the one I speak off."

"He belongs with Gouria," Athesmos stated the obvious.

"That I know. But there is another, one that has owned my heart so thoroughly that I wouldn't wish my heart be given to another." Xrysos voice hurt.

"You gave yourself to me!" Athesmos felt his eyes wet but he refused to let the tears free.

"That was a long time ago, a memory that had refused to fade." Xrysos hissed as his heart constricted at the thoughts.

"And yet you had another." Athesmos picked up his own sword with trembling hands.

"You killed my mother!" Xrysos yelled.

"She would never let us be together!"

"Are we together now?!"

******

Athesmos remembered coming out from the Queen's room that day with shaky legs and then stumbled into Xrysos's chest. Xrysos stare into his eyes and saw the looks of death in the boy's eyes. Xrysos ran into his mother's room to find her choking on her own blood. He scowled in pain and ran out to find Athesmos on his knees, tears rolling out his eyes like a fountain.

Xrysos held his father's sword ready to strike the traitor but lost the fight even before it had begun.

"I'm sorry, please forgive me." Athesmos had cried that day and even though he was on his knees and weak Xrysos couldn't help but yell for him to get out of the palace and out of the city never to show his face again as he saw guards approaching them from a distance.

The bond they shared broke on that day and everything they ever had became a glimpse of memory, hidden somewhere none could ever reach and erase.

"I love you," Athesmos whispered as he got ready to run.

"I can't." Were the only words Xrysos spoke in reply and the darkness which Athesmos had spoken off on that day they had made love to each other, claimed him as he ran.