Chapter 16

I stepped into the forest, groaning at how the ground beneath my foot sunk due to the wet weather. The rain had stopped almost completely, but a cool mist had taken is place, creating a colder atmosphere in the damp forest. As I trudged through I wrapped my arms tightly around myself, even though I was dressed in a sweater the oversize of it was actually making me colder. It had a lot of space for cool air to breeze in and cool me down. 

When I finally looked up and around I realized I had reached a part of the forest that was completely unfamiliar. Not that much of it was ever familiar, but this one had no walkways where crazy 5am runners would trample over. In fact is was a dark part, the cloudy skies being almost covered by the treetops, making little rays of light stick out everywhere. Looking around I grew nervous , but decided to keep walking. It had to be close by, I had entered near where we did for the party. 

The deeper I got in the more I realized I was lost, I pulled out my phone hoping to be able to text someone. However, my phone screamed that I had zero service. Groaning I came to a stop and took in my surroundings. That was when I heard the sound of running water, smirking I knew I was near the creek. I followed the sound till I finally came upon a small creek the water rushed though. It had to only be about to knee depth, and memories of it floated into my head as I walked down the side. Some distance down was a deeper area where all the high school kids would go to on the last day of school. Yes while people did enjoy its warmth other times of the year, it was a big deal for teenagers around here. However, everyone knew not to come near it during winter, for some reason, whether it was the angle it was on or where we were on the globe. But, it became more of a rapids during the winter, and the deeper part was dark and cold. 

Once and only once about 10 years ago some kids decided to go skating on it. Only being about 12-13 years of age they didn't know the full details of the dangers it held.  They apparently were skating for about 10 minutes when they heard the ice crack. For some reason even in below -30 degree weather it doesn't freeze properly and will almost always break under human weight. When it cracked they ran/skated to get off but one of them wasn't fast enough. He went right through the ice and was lost underneath. The others tried to get him out but it was like he disappear into the blackness of it. They never recovered his body, they believe it got rushed out by the water, but no matter where the water led they never found him. I didn't know the full story till I was older, all that was thoroughly stated was that we needed to stay off it. Even if it looked strong enough it wasn't. 

A crunch of a branch caught my attention away from the stream. Looking around I realized how dense the trees actually were. "Ben?" I shouted just assuming maybe he had followed me, to make sure I was going to be okay. When nothing made any sound I shrugging passing it off to just be a rabbit or something. 

When I turned to continue walking a loud thud, like a rock being thrown sounded behind me. Twisting my entire body around I turned my back toward the water and watched the trees. Besides the movement that the wind created there was nothing. I watched for at least a minute before I gave up and turned around. However, I jumped back and let out a horrible embarrassing screech to find Jordan standing right in front of me. "God Jordan you scared the shit out of me," I cried trying to catch my breathe and steady my heart right. He smiled brightly,

"Sorry but that was the intent," He shrugged making me roll my eyes. I noticed that he had changed, and was in a comfortable looking pair of track pants the tightened down the leg and a black v-neck. His hair was still damp from the rain but it was pushed book more neatly, and looked less miserable. 

"Jerk," I grouched punching his shoulder gently.This only made him chuckle a little harder and and tilt his head to the left, a goofy smile on his lips. 

"Shall we walk and talk?" He asked, putting his arm out for me to hold it, a more gentle and relaxed smile taking over the playful one. I smiled and nodded taking hold of his arm and leaning my head against his shoulder.