Chapter 9

I relaxed against the leather seats, the air conditioning was on keeping the car at a cool yet comfortable temperature. When Ben got in beside me, he gave me a smile that I could tell was devious, he was up to something. However, before I could even think the car's hum roared to life and we took off down the quiet street. "Holy fuck," I hissed one of my hands whipping out and gripping onto his arm, his rich chuckle filled the car making me relax slightly. 

"So if you don't mind me asking," He started, I turned my vision to him, releasing his arm from the death grip I had placed on it. I raised my brow, his eyes didn't move from in front of him, however he seemed to know I was allowing him to speak. "Why did that feel like I was taking you to prom?" He questioned glancing at me for a quick second. I frowned, "I mean I could have sworn they were going to whip out a camera and start taking photos. I felt like I was missing a corsage for you." He said chuckling at his own words, I groaned rolling my eyes and punching his arm gently. 

"Shut up okay, this is my first official date," I hissed out before thinking. He glanced at me, and I instantly realized how pathetic that was. I am 19 years old, and never been  on a real date, the only boyfriend I had was in 9th grade, and we 'dated' for  two weeks, then he broke up with me. The reason why? Oh, because I wasn't  wearing 'crop tops'. How stupid is that? What does the fact that I don't show off my mid drift have anything to do with who I am as a person? Then I had a one guy ask me on a date, but it didn't make it that far when he asked if I could invite Sam. It was quick to realized I was being used to get to one of my best friends. My life is a portal vacuum of embarrassing experiences. 

"Olive?" Ben's voice pulled me out of the trance that I had pushed myself into, I peeked at him, embarrassed deeply for what I had said. "If it makes you feel any better," He started looking at me with a gentle smile. "I haven't been on a date in over 60 years, So I'm pretty much winging it," He said with a awkward chuckle. I couldn't help the smile pulling to my lips, while that information would probably freak many people out, it did bring comfort to me. 

I felt as if we were driving forever, and it was almost 7:00pm when we pulled into a driveway that was attached to a a restaurant. The parking lot was filled with all gorgeous and expensive vehicles, and the people I could see through the window of the restaurant were all dressed in suits and dresses. I instantly felt self-conscious checking over myself. I was so focused on doing this that I didn't even realize Ben had gotten out of the car and was opening my door. "Olive?" He said catching my attention, when I raised my vision to him, he had obviously noticed my insecurity because he was giving me a worried look. "Are you alright?" He questioned, the scratchy sound in his voice was more prominent because of the low whisper he pushed it with.

"Yeah, Just feel a little," I paused thinking of the right word as  I stepped out of the car. "Under dressed?" I finished, making it sound like more of a question then I had meant it to. He eyed me while closing the door, not in a judgmental way, more of a process, thinking exactly what to say. He then smiled gentle, 

"Trust me Olivia," He said taking my hand in his, "Out of all the people in there, you are the only one my eyes will be on, you look perfect" He said leaning down and pressing his lips to my knuckles. I couldn't, even if i tried, to fight the smile from tugging to my face. I'm not sure why that brought comfort, it wasn't like I was thoroughly worried about what he thought, but I guess I was just lying to myself. 

He  escorted me toward the front of the restaurant, opening one of the large glass double doors. Once we stepped in the delicious and glorious smell of food rushed into my nose making my stomach growl. The gentle sound of a piano played in the distance and the busy restaurant rumbled with voices. "Do you have a reservation?" The waiter who stood in the front asked. She was a tall lady, her dark hair pulled into a light pony tail. Dressed in your traditional waiter outfit; black and white. Ben sent her award winning smile,