Huntress

The shewolf and the huntress stared at each other, both locked in a gaze of utter betrayal.

"What did you do?" Melanie shouted, staring at the dead shewolf that lay on the ground. Melanie knew that not many shewolves existed, and despite her distrust for the wolves next to her, they were still her kind. They were still a dying breed.

And now they were down one.

Payton glared at her best friend, who stood protectively in front of the remaining three wolves.

"Melanie, move," Payton ordered. She had a gun aimed at her friend, but Mel knew she wouldn't pull the trigger.

"Payton, stop. This isn't right," Melanie said. She had known that Payton was a hunter for a long time now, and she knew that Payton could very well kill her.

"What's not right is how you protect these animals," Payton spit, "They hurt people, Melanie. They hurt you!"

Payton tightened her grip on the gun, pointing it sharply at the wolves. They stammered behind Melanie, panicked. Melanie shot around to glare at them for their cowardice.

She turned back to Payton, who still remained standing tall.

"I know they hurt me, I know what they turned me into. But I'm thankful for what I am now. The people that once hurt me can't hurt me anymore, Payton I'm finally happy," Melanie spoke, "Don't take it away now."

Melanie knew that she was manipulating her friend, she knew that using her past as a way to survive was wrong, but she needed to live.

Payton's grip on her gun faltered for a second, before she lowered it. Her gaze remained locked on Melanie's as if it was the gun itself. She wasn't glaring at her, but she did appear hurt.

"Melanie, my job is to hunt werewolves," Payton paused, "But how do I hunt them, if my best friend is one of them?"

Payton felt conflicted, before it had been so easy for her to kill these things. Now it wasn't, now every time she would kill one, she'd think of Melanie.

"Don't hunt them anymore, stop." Melanie suggested, causing Payton to roll her eyes.

"They kill people! You've killed people!" Payton shouted, taking Melanie by surprise. Payton's gaze softened for a split second, before she spoke. "I know about Joe, okay Mel? I saw it. I saw the entire thing..."

Payton didn't hide her sorrow for her friend, she knew that Melanie did what she had to do. She knew that Joe wouldn't leave Mel alone, which is why Payton felt no remorse over his death.

Melanie tried to hold in her regret, she tried to act like killing him didn't hurt her. But it did, it reminded her of what she could become. The one thing she feared the most; a monster.

Payton stared at her best friend, watching as she battled with herself to stay strong. And for that time being, Payton forgot about the other wolves. She forgot about Melanie being a wolf. And she forgot about her job.

She approached Melanie with open arms, throwing them around Mel as she reached her. They embraced, not paying attention to anyone or anything else.

The pair that had been around since practically birth was reunited, and it felt amazing. For once, Melanie and Payton realized how much they needed each other, and despite their differences they still loved each other.

But their long awaited reunion was cut short by Lana, who looked pissed.

"How the hell can you even look at her?" She spit, throwing a vicious glare at Payton, "She killed Fay! She put a knife through her throat."