Chapter 17 ~ Memories

Start from the beginning

   I heard footsteps shifting in the dirt behind me. I turned, not thinking, just reacting. My foot kicked out, it hit against his leg. The jackal collapsed to one knee. Growling, annoyed.

   I felt my hands trembling, my eyes growing wide. I was scared? No. I'm not scared! I shook my head, trying to keep up my tough act. Hoping to convince myself to stay brave. To not show weakness.

   The canine got up almost instantly. He grabbed my head with one hand, sharp nails digging into my skull.

   No, I thought, I am petrified.

   The last thing I saw before he pulled my head forward and smashed it back into the metal wall were yellow and blue eyes.

...

"Hey!" a voice called. Though it was echoed, distant. "Is she okay?"

   "I don't know, I just look down from my bunk, and she smashed her head!" a female voice says. Slight panic and worry edging her voice.

   "Just give her some space," another, higher female voice says.

   "We've been 'giving her space'," a gruff voice growls, annoyed. Something tapped my shoulder. "Wake up!"

   My eyes slowly opened, barely. Head pounding with pain. The lights were turned on, they were bright. I squinted. Several figures stood around me.

   "Shadow! That's not going to help!" the high voice snaps.

   "What's that stuff on her neck?" the first voice asks. Confused.

   My eyes burst open, I quickly sat up, quickly crawling backward, away from everyone, back hitting a wall. My heartbeat thuds in my head, my breathing was fast, and panic was starting to take over.

   "Whoa," Sonic hold up his hands, trying to calm me. His voice matched the one I first heard when I came to. "Take it easy."

   He and Shadow were crouched on the floor. Were they sitting next to me?

   Rouge slowly walked over to me. Wearing her black tang top, and grey shorts, her pajamas. "You alright?" she asks though her voice didn't really show any affection. Back to usual tone.

   I brought a hand to my head, trembling. There was a small indent in my forehead. When I lower my hand, blood covered the tips of my fingers. My eyes fall upon my bandana, tied around my wrist. I panicked. Sonic had saw, "what's that stuff on her neck?" he had said. There was no way they notice.

   They won't ignore this episode of "off" behaviour, especially after Rouge watched me knock myself unconscious.

   I quickly tugged off the cloth, then wrapped it around my neck. I lifted the cloth over my mouth, my hand held it there. My gaze moving to the floor.

   Rouge hesitantly put her hand on my shoulder, sitting down next to me, laying against the wall. In the corner of my eye, I could see Amy twiddling her thumbs, worried. She too, wore her night clothes. A faded pink nightgown.

   Knuckles and Silver stared at me from the doorway, worried. Almost the entire damn team was here! Sonic, Silver, Shadow and Knuckles shared a room, so if Amy or Rouge had gotten Knuckles, there was no way they wouldn't make the rest of them.

   Luckily Charmy, Espio, Gadget, Tails, Junior Sonic or Vector isn't awake.

   I crushed my eyes shut, both with shame, and anger. After all that, purposely hurting myself, resulting with everyone staring at me on the floor, I only saw his eyes. Nothing else. And now everyone is looking at me like I'm a hurt puppy. I hate it.