chapter thirty - the figure

vote and comment

———————————

Bailey and I walk out of school and to our cars together. "I'm kind of sad that I won't be able to cheer at the last football game of our senior year." I say while unlocking my car. "I know but maybe there's a reason for it." I shrug and hug Bailey.

"Let me know how it goes, I'll see you later." She nods and walks over to her car. I open my car door and start to get in. I notice the new guy, Jahseh, walking with a group of people. I guess he's already got situated... good for him.

It looks like he's walking towards me, but I brush it off and start my car. I hear a tap on my window and see Jahseh. I roll it down, impatiently wanting to go home. "Ay so for the project in English, is it due on Monday?" I nod my head, preparing to roll the window back up.

"Thanks, babygirl." babygirl? Who used to call me that? Jahseh walks away and I proceed to head home. As soon as I get to my house, I go straight to my room. It feels like I haven't been here in a long time. I'm exhausted so I quickly get into bed and spend my Friday night sleeping.

I wake up from knocking on my door. My parents walk in to the room, before I can get up. "Aren't you supposed to be cheering at the game tonight?" My mom asks as she sits on the side of my bed. "No, I fell during practice and coach said I should stay home."

"Oh... Well your dad and I have some big news to share with you." I sit up, waiting for her to continue. "You're going to be a big sister!" My eyes widen and I look over at my dad. "You seriously got her knocked up... at this age? Good for you dad."

My mom stomps out of the room and my dad laughs as he follows her. My phone buzzes and I read the new text: "Hey Zion, I'm throwing a party after the game tonight! You should come!"

I think for a little before deciding not to go... I just have a feeling I should stay at home. I respond with a 'thanks for the invite but I took a really bad fall at practice today and I'm stuck on bed rest.' I hit send and lay back in my bed.

I glance out the window, seeing rain fall from the sky. I sigh, missing the much needed rain in california. I notice a figure standing on the street. I slowly get out of bed to get a closer look, but the figure is gone.

Must of been my imagination... I'm a little on edge from it so I decide to go downstairs. "Hey we are going out for the night, don't throw any parties!" My dad says while my mom walks out the front door. I wave them off and look in the fridge for something to eat.

I hear a knock on the door... maybe my dad forgot his car keys. I walk over and open the door to see Jahseh standing there. "Oh... Is there something you need?" He doesn't answer and points behind me.

I slowly glance over my shoulder but don't see anything, when I turn back around Jahseh's gone. I step out of the door, glancing around my front yard but he's nowhere in sight.

"Looking for me?" I hear a voice behind me and quickly turn around. I fall backwards from shock of seeing the cloaked figure in front of me. "You don't have much time. Use it wisely."

I'm speechless and I can't force myself to run away. We both stand in the pouring rain, staring at each other. "Zion?!" I hear my name shouted. I turn around to see Bailey, getting out of her car. "Why are you standing in the rain?" I turn to look back at the cloaked figure but he's gone.

"Um I thought I heard something..." She runs up to me and drags me inside. "Well I came to check on you. Just wanted to make sure you didn't die." I don't respond, still in a daze of confusion.

———————————

vote and comment