Chapter 32: Nick

"Work out complete!" The automated voice on the treadmill announced.

I wiped the sweat that dripped down my forehead with my towel. After the guys left, I couldn't stand being in that house any longer, I had to get out and do something. So I came to the gym.

Before I started hanging out with Maya, I would come here late at night. It helped fill all those sleepless hours, and it helped keep me in shape. And from the way that workout kicked my ass, I was in need of a gym session. I was so focused on the burn in my legs and stomach that I barely had a chance to think about Maya.

On wobbly legs, I walked over to the nearest wall and sat against it. Resting my head against the cement wall, I closed my eyes for a second. She hadn't called me back. I was hoping it was just the girls keeping her busy, and not her ghosting me.

I took deep breaths trying to slow my heart rate. It was beating so hard I could hear it thumping in my ears.

"Is anyone sitting here?" I opened my eyes to see Crystal standing above me. Her blonde hair was piled on top of her head and she wore a sports bra and leggings. A light sheen of sweat shined on her chest.

"No, go ahead."

Crystal sat on the floor next to me. "I haven't seen you in awhile how have you been?"

"I've been great." At least I had been until yesterday. "How are you?"

"I guess I've been good too," she said drinking from her water bottle. "I guess you could say I finally found myself."

I looked over at her. "That's awesome, Crystal. What did you find, exactly?" I asked curious. I didn't regret us breaking up in the slightest, but I did want to know what life changing thing she had found within herself.

" I'm gay" she said catching me off guard.

"You're what?" Did she say what I think she said?

"I'm gay." she said again. "I like girls."

I furrowed my brows trying to understand. "But we...we dated for five years." I was in genuine shock. If she was gay, then why didn't she tell me.

"I know we did," she said, "And I was always attracted to women."

"It's not my fault, right? I didn't turn you--"

She interrupted me before I could finish. "You did not turn me into anything. I've always been gay, but I wasn't sure how to deal with it. Our relationship had nothing to do with it."

"Okay," I said, looking down at the floor, "Okay, if you're happy then I'm happy too."

She nudged my shoulder, "Thanks, Nick. I have a girlfriend."

"That's awesome, Crystal," I said honestly. "Is she pretty?"

She laughed. "Of course she is."

"I met someone too," I told her, since we're sharing life changing news."I'm in love with her."

"Nick!" she exclaimed. "That's great!"

"Uh, maybe," I said sadly.

"You don't sound sure."

I sighed, "I told her I loved her, and she sort of freaked out." Sort of, is an understatement, she completely lost her shit.

"Yikes," Crystal replied, "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know," I chuckled, uncomfortably. I rubbed my hands up and down my legs, the soreness had begun to creep in from my work out. "She's like no one I've ever met before. She's such an asshole, but I oddly enjoy it, and she makes me think about things that I've never had to think about before."