Chapter 21: Saying Goodbye

Ben gives me a quick hug then heads home as I go inside. I see Rory comforting Norah by our lockers. "What's going on?" I ask after quickly rolling over to them. 

          "I-I'm leaving tomorrow..." Norah says and sniffles. "Where are you being sent?" I ask with tears in my eyes. "Colorado" She whispers as Rory leads us into her dad's office so we can keep talking.

          "You have only been here for a few months; how can they already move you?" Rory asks and leans back against her dad's desk. "Ms. Ellis said that it's time for me to go" Norah sighs and sits down.

          "She can do that?" I ask and take off my glasses, wiping my eyes. "Sadly" Norah says and shakes her head. "Well, can we do something tonight?" Rory asks and looks at me and Norah. "Sure, it's Friday anyway" I say and Norah nods.  

          Norah gets her stuff from her locker and heads home to finish packing. Rory and I go to second hour, planning to have Norah over to my house tonight so we can hang out before she leaves.

***After School***

          "My dad said he left us some money for tonight" I say as Rory and I head to Norah's house to pick her up. "Cool. I think I have a plan then" Rory says and smiles slightly, pulling up to the house.

          Norah comes out and gets into the back of the car. "Hey guys" She says and smiles a little. "Hey" Rory and I say. "So, what are we doing first?" Norah asks. "Well, first, smile" Rory says, taking a picture of the three of us.   

          "Now what?" I ask and giggle softly. "To the thrift store!" Rory exclaims with a smile and starts driving. I turn radio on loud and we all sing and dance on the way to the thrift store.

***2 hours later***

          After running around the thrift store, trying on clothes, and taking plenty of pictures, we get back in the car. "That was so much fun, but now I'm starving" Norah says with a giggle, smiling at us.

          "I am too" I say and smile back, giggling. "How does the buffet at River City Casino sound?" Rory asks and smiles. "Amazing" Norah and I say at the same time. "Is that way you made us get fancy clothes?" Norah asks and giggles.

          "Yes, yes it is" Rory says and giggles, driving us to her house so we can change. We finish changing into our fancy dresses and do our hair and makeup before heading to the casino to eat.     

          We get to the casino and get into the buffet, getting way more food than we can possibly eat. We talk and laugh as we finish as much as we can, looking at Rory to see how we're going to finish our night.

          "Are you guys up for one more wardrobe change?" Rory asks and smiles as we leave the casino. Norah and I nod in agreement and we convince someone to take a picture of us in our dresses before going to Rory's house to change again.

          We change into warmer clothes and head to the art museum. They have an area outside for sledding, an area for ice skating, and an area to drink hot chocolate and warm up a little. We decide to go sledding first.

          We finish sledding and I giggle as I watch Rory and Norah try to ice skate. They give up after twenty minutes and come back over to me. "Ready for some hot chocolate?" I ask them and smile.

          "Definitely" Rory says and we head over to that area, getting our drinks and some warm blankets. We get comfortable and go back to talking and taking pictures while we drink our hot chocolate.          

***9:45 PM***

          "I think it's time guys. Ms. Ellis wants me home by 10:30" Norah says sadly and sighs, looking at us. "I wish we had more time" I say and tear up, rolling back to Rory's car.

          "I do too" Rory says softly and helps me into the car, driving back to Norah's house. We get there and get out of the car to say our goodbyes. We all hug tightly and I give Norah a sketch that I drew of the three of us together.

          We all promise to stay in contact and wait until Norah gets inside before driving back to my house. "I can't believe she's really leaving; I'm gonna miss her so much" I whisper and Rory softly wipes my tears away.