35

"You don't know how happy I am to have you in school with me, now." Mackenzie says as she reaches on her tip toes for a binder that sits on the very top shelf.

"Well, I've always been there." Johnny shrugs, grabbing the binder with ease, handing it to her.

"You know what I mean, John." She chuckles as she moved onto looking for notebooks.

Her trailed right behind her, his hands on her waist as they walked together through Target.

To all Target shoppers, Target will be closing in 10 minutes. Again, to all Target shoppers, Target will be closing in 10 minutes, thank you!

Mackenzie sighed as she threw some notebooks in her basket, "We can come back, tomorrow."

"Really?! But you got so much stuff!"

"I'm a junior now, Johnny, this is the most important year of my high school career. You should know."

"Yeah, I guess you're right, come on."

"You're back!" Darian mumbled, hopping off of the couch, "Mom left for work a few hours ago, and Nadia just came and picked up Avery."

Johnny nodded his head, "Why did she come so late?"

"Beats me." Darian said, heading for the door, "Byeeeee."

Mackenzie shifted a little in her spot; mentioning Nadia being Avery's made her cringe and she couldn't help but feel self conscious. They haven't talked about Nadia since he apologized and she knew a conversation was obviously bound to happen.

"Mackenzie do you wanna-"

"I should shower." Mackenzie rushes out, moving quickly to the bathroom and leaving Johnny in confusion.

She arrives after grabbing her necessities, running the water hot, puling her hair into a bun and quickly stripping off her clothes. Before getting in, she hears a knock on the door.

"Kenz? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." She mumbles, getting in the shower.

"You left so fast I almost didn't see you." Johnny jokes, playing with his fingers from behind the door.

"I'm sorry, I just felt really sticky from shopping, I needed to shower." She lied.

"What?"

"What?" Mackenzie yells louder, and Johnny's eyebrows furrow.

"What?! I can barely hear you!" Johnny yells again as he smushes this side of his face against the door abruptly, making Mackenzie jump at the noise.

"What the fuck?!" She screeches. Johnny heard that loud and clear.

He knocks on the door again, "Mackenzie... are you decent? Is it okay if I come in?"

Mackenzie nodded her head, "Mackenzie?"

Oh, yeah, he can't see me. She thought... idiot.

"Yeah, sure." She yelled loud enough for him to hear and the door soon opened.

"You alright, Mackenzie?"

"I said I was."

"You don't seem it..."

"You're right, and I shouldn't lie to you." She sighed, letting the water run over her hands.

"What's up?" Johnny asks as he sits on the counter top, and Mackenzie moves the shower curtain, still covering his up her body.

"Now?! Can't this wait until I'm out of the shower?"

Johnny shook his head, crossing his arms over his chest, "Nope. So, please, tell me, what's the matter?"

"I..." Mackenzie said but stopped herself.

"You what?"

"I feel, like, weird every time someone mentions Nadia. Being Avery's mother and all..."

"What, why?"

"I don't know, really..."

"Are you... jealous?" Johnny asked curiously, he didn't know why she would feel this way. He never mentioned her around Mackenzie, unless it had something to do with Avery, he was always focused on Mackenzie, so why would she even think to feel any jealousy towards her?

"I wouldn't... say jealous..."

"Mackenzie," Johnny says quietly, sitting up from his spot and moving closer to the shower, "I know you are, and there's no reason to be... I'll prove it to you."

johnny sure is doing a lot of proving and showing 'round here... i wonder what he's doing...? 🤔

being on this app is suddenly killing me battery for some reason, bye 👋🏃🏿‍♂️💨