Chapter 4. Prom Night

~*~ Emma West ~*~

I was looking into the mirror for the tenth time in the last half an hour. I knew I looked perfect and everything was exactly as I’ve planned. My curly hair was falling perfectly on my back. I had impeccable makeup and the right dress. But I felt my heart pounding in my chest and I knew that wasn’t a good sign.

I had been way too worried for this Prom thing, and I tried everything to make it perfect, but I hadn’t planned everything since I was 5, like I heard other girls had. I have bought my dress about a week ago, my shoes a few days after and my jewelry today, which was a silver necklace, elegant, with a small diamond heart and matching earrings.

I sat carefully on the edge of the bed, kindly pulling my hair on my back, watching the clock again. Matt still could be here on time, but I was extremely nervous. I had no idea I was going to make such a fuss about it, and I was totally grateful because he offered to go to Prom with me, because I wouldn’t have been able to go there by myself.

It was almost 8 o’clock and now I was literally freaking out.

Matt had said he’d be here by 8 and he was never late. He had been so sweet to offer to go with me, and I hoped he was going to keep that promise. But he should have been here. Maybe his parents’ car didn’t listen to him. I knew he hated that car… Or maybe he had changed his mind. I searched through my purse, where I kept my iPhone, a few makeup items and some pills, just in case, and I looked at the empty desktop of my phone. There were no missed calls or messages. If he had changed his mind, he would have called, right?

I arranged a few strands of my hair, making sure it was still perfectly curled, and I jumped out of bed when I heard the doorbell. I smiled involuntary, and felt my body suddenly relaxing, knowing that I didn’t have to go through all this alone.

I heard someone opening the door, and then my father saying something, and I considered staying in my room just a few more minutes, so I wouldn’t look so desperate and excited.

After counting till 100 since my dad invited Matt in, I breathed deeply a few times, and opened the door, pacing gracefully on the hallway. I heard my parents chatting with Matt, and I knew they haven’t heard me so I stepped towards the living room.

My father was the first to notice me and rose of his seat, looking at me stunned, and Matt jumped off his seat at same time as dad, and he smiled when my eyes met his.

“You’re delightful!” mom said, coming towards me with a proud expression on her face.

“Thank you,” I whispered wishing she wouldn’t say anything, and give me the occasion to start crying and ruin my makeup before even leaving home.

“You’re just wonderful,” Matt said, taking a step closer to me and offering me a small, transparent box with a white flower, which matched my dress perfectly, and then he put in on my wrist, as the tradition required.

My father insisted on taking a billion photos, and kept complimenting us, and instead of relaxing, I became even more anxious. I thought it would have been better if Rick, my younger brother, was home, instead of taking stupid trips on Bear Mountain. Right now he would have made some childish jokes, and I would have felt more comfortable.

When we were ready to go, Matt led me to his car, opening the door for me, being such a gentleman, and without adding anything he started the engine.

The truth is that Matt was just breath taking. I wondered how could he be that hot all the time, and so attractive. Every time I went out with him, loads of girls would stop and stare at him. It’s kind of disturbing, and that’s why I haven’t allowed myself to fantasize about him. But I’ve seen how amazingly that black suit fitted him, how his dark hair was styled in that “I-just-jumped-out-of-bed” style, so typical to him and his smile was so charming, that kind of changed. The elegant style suited him so good, it was like the suits were made for him, and him only, and I didn’t know any person who can wear a suit like him… It was even better than his “carefree young writer” style, and I was just wondering if he ever notices just how amazing hot he is.