Chapter 3. Bad Day

~ Matt Nicholls ~

I was tired of the sick feeling of having a bad day. I woke up too early and I had to go to school to solve some kind of misunderstanding with my bachelor degree. Seriously? In there, there wasn’t a mistake at all, only this incredible jam I had to rush through. For about an hour I was stuck on the highway, causing me to arrive at the university way too late. I had to beg the secretary to help me. Seriously, people! The system was seriously fucked up.

And then my ex tutor from high school, Mrs. Melville, called me to help her with something for the actual Prom. Was I in high school and I wasn’t aware of that? I’ve just graduate from University of Connecticut! Anyway. It’s not like I had anything else to do on my free time. Just notice the sarcasm.

Again, I found myself stuck in a car for a half an hour, with oh-so-bad music, thanks to my parents who took away my great, old Porsche. They figured it was “perfect” for their vacation, and that I should keep their brand new Mercedes, with an incredible speed, practically reading my mind at every touch. It drove me crazy! I was so used to my baby, forcing myself very hard to take a curve, steering the wheel fiercely... Oh, those were good times… And, of course, they left with my good CDs. And I felt trapped here, with the brand new Mercedes, and the… radio? I couldn’t even convince myself to turn the evil thing on. I knew what kind of music they play on the radio. The Justin Bieber crap. Oh, no, thank you. So I haven’t listened to anything on my way home.

The road to high school was familiar, and actually reminded me of how good it was back then. It had a different me. I hadn’t a single worry in high school, but… Actually, I have no idea where all this complaining comes from. I don’t give a fuck about things, just like I haven’t in high school. So haven’t I changed at all?

I walked out of the car, remembering the first time I ever drove my old Porsche to high school. A smile appeared on my face remembering the admiration of everyone and just how good I felt.

Of course, I remembered everything in the institute. It’s like nothing had changed in three years. But yet, it did. Everything was different. I wasn’t a teenager anymore, and soon enough I had to be on my own in a different city, probably. Finding a job, or… something else?

I went directly to the Organization Office. I would know perfectly where the office was, especially since it was where I’d spent the last weeks of high school, being so drawn to the Prom thing. I just loved this organization stuff. I couldn’t help it.

So, as I entered the office, I was completely amazed by this new Prom theme, which looked professional, but I knew that the organization was made by students, under the surveillance of Mrs. Melville, as always.

There was nobody inside, just my luck! Trying so hard not to punch anybody, at the same time glad no one was near me, I slowly walked to the principal’s office to find Mrs. Melville. Of course she wasn’t there! Because chasing her around the school in a horrible day like this was just what I needed! This was officially “Piss-Off-Matt” day. Congratulations. The secretary told me some girl named “Emma West” should be in the Organization Office, but I clearly knew she wasn’t there. But then again, who was I to doubt the secretary’s words?

So, walking slowly, I returned to the Organization Office. And… Yes, there she was. She didn’t even notice me when I came in. She was too busy staring into some catalogue, looking really stressed out about something. Well, if she made this look this good… Then… She was clearly amazing.

“Excuse me. Are you Emma West? I studied here three years ago and I wanted to see Mrs. Melville, and the director sent me here.”

I’ve talked way too fast and my voice sounded weird. Why would I be weird talking to a girl? Seriously, I was Matt Nicholls.

But that didn’t stop the stupid bitch that cheated on me on Prom’s night.

Completely different story.

“Hey,” she answered with a casual voice, without even looking at me.

Okay, this girl was testing my patience and also my ability to charm girls. Looking at her, I noticed just how lovely she was. All caught up in preparations, dressed casually, with denim jeans, a top that was way too big for her, falling over her shoulder in a sexy way, and her light brown hair was caught in an improvised tail, with strands falling on her beautiful face.

Those were too many details. Why have I been staring at this girl?

Because I was having a bad day; and I needed distraction. So it was pretty easy to start suggesting her around and criticizing everything. I was in a bad mood. And this was the only way I could ever calm down.

But, through the few minutes we talked, she had been able to make me smile for real, just by being so natural and cute… Wait, cute? Dude, you’re a man. Girls are either hot, or not. Guys don’t say cute. Grow some balls or something.

But that didn’t stop me from asking her out. Of course it didn’t. And I was definitely looking forward to that.

*

Okay, so maybe the first time I’ve met Emma I overreacted. I mean, seriously, it has been way too long since I’ve had a serious girlfriend. I don’t even know… Yes, I do. Since that bitch hooked up with my best friend on Prom night. But Emma was different. She wasn’t interested in me at all. And, to be frank, that was a little bit annoying. But I liked her, either way.

I had a lot of things in common with her, and we’d gone out for about a week without any awkward silence or anything, simply because she didn’t think of me that way. She was way too involved with her Prom. And since she got accepted into UCLA, she was freaking out about leaving for LA. An unsteady boyfriend wasn’t something she needed.

Although, there was that time when she just kept complimented me, telling me I was a good… friend. Was she being serious? All the girls were jumping around to get my attention, then this particular girl, who was so damn interesting, and funny, smart, attractive… She had no interest in me. Maybe I was way too good for her, and she was aware of that. But it was impossible, and now I was being a jackass. I wasn’t good enough for her.

But I had no time and energy to make her see me like she should. I mean, she’ll be leaving to L.A. in a few weeks, and then, if something happens between us, she’ll be hurt for leaving me here. Or if it got bad, things would get weird. No, it’s better like this. Just friends.

But still I was pretty excited to go to Prom with her.

And I know what you’d all think right now, but I kind of need my second chance to a perfect Prom. Yes, yes, I was voted Prom King that night, but that’s irrelevant. I mean, I want that perfect night to remember, and Emma is pretty perfect to make the night as it should have been the first time.

I’ve just invited Emma because she sounded so sad, investing all that time in organization, and then she was supposed to go on her own? No, I was there for her, even though she couldn’t afford herself to think of me like that. Because, at the end, that’s what friends do, right?

So, when the Prom night finally arrived, I think I was even more excited than she was. I’ve spent like half a day trying to find the perfect suit, the perfect hairstyle, something that would fit her. I had to be worthy of her, knowing that finally Emma would allow herself to have fun and relax, at least for a few hours.

And then, maybe I’ll get my chance with her, right?

-----------

I'm so sorry, I deleted this chapter when I deleted the rest of them so they wouldn't contradict the copywriting of my published book.

Maybe you'd like a re-read of the first moment you read Matt's thoughts!