Chapter 48 Beginnings

Start from the beginning

This time he was the one to grin mischievously.

The girls shrieked as he advanced on her and stared running. Cyrus chased her and caught her around the waist, tackling her to the ground.

Both laughed as Cyrus hovered over her. Cyrus' guard watched it bemused.

A loud shriek startled them. "Ethan!"

A moment later, Cyrus was tackled off of the girl by another boy his age. A fist found his cheek and Cyrus groaned in pain.

The sudden assault had startled the guard as well. He jumped into action and lifted Ethan away from Cyrus. Both Cyrus and the girl scrambled to their feet.

"Stop!" Cyrus told his guard, "he was just trying to protect his friend."

The guard dropped Ethan. Ethan and the girl both stared at Cyrus. Only now they seemed to realize who he was and they both dropped to one knee.

Cyrus held out his hand to Ethan and helped the boy up. Next to him, the girl giggled and helped up her friend. "Get up Euniece."

Eunice stared at her. "But Vara, he is the prince," she whispered loudly.

"I know that, silly," Vara giggled. She turned to Cyrus. "You need dry clothes."

Cyrus looked down at his attire. "And whose fault is that?"

Vara crossed her arms. "You made fun of me."

Cyrus smirked. "You were funny."

The guard cleared his throat. "Your Highness, you really should return to the palace. You'll catch a cold."

Cyrus sighed, but relented. "Fine, I'll come." He looked at Ethan. "Take good care of her." Ethan blinked and nodded, completely stunned. Cyrus nodded too and mounted his horse. Slowly he set course to the palace.

...

She was still silent in her approach, but he could tell it was her. Still, he didn't take his eyes off the lake, even when she sat down next to him.

"Don't tell me you stayed out here all night."

"I won't tell you," Cyrus answered. He knew she was rolling her eyes. It was silent for a while.

"Life is unfair," Vara commented softly.

He agreed with that wholeheartedly. Picking up a handful of pebbles he threw them at the water one by one.

"But it's not her fault," Vara continued.

Cyrus gritted his teeth. "Did she tell you to find me?"

Vara sighed. "No. I don't think I am her favorite person right now."

Cyrus rana hand across his face. "I didn't mean to yell at her. I just don't know how to talk to her." He looked at her. "You look good, Vee."

Vara lowered her eyes. "Don't do that."

"Iason is a lucky man," Cyrus said, "I envy him."

"Cyrus..." Vara said, softly begging him not to continue.

"I want you to be happy, Vara," Cyrus said, "but I can't help how I feel. Don't blame me for that."

Vara sighed. "Then don't blame her for being upset She is your wife, far away from everything she knows and loves. All she has is you and Lucius."

Cyrus sighed and looked away. He was done talking about Ariane. It would only lead to an argument and he was sick of arguing. "What did grandfather talk to you about?" he asked instead.