Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Actually Kylie, I will walk her out," Alexander announces getting up from his spot on the couch.

Just then Samantha enters the room. "Who will be walking who out?" Samantha asks looking a little confused.

"I'll be walking Amy out!" Kylie announces standing up. "While Alexander and you work on your project!"

Alexander sends daggers to Kylie while we stand and walk out of the room. I turn towards the front entrance only to be pulled back.

Kylie covers my mouth before I can yelp. "Shh," She whispers. "Calm down. Don't scream."

She uncovers my mouth and I glare at her. "How are things at home?" She asks throwing me off.

"Huh?" I ask a little confused.

"You ignored us for a couple of months, and you're no longer limping when you walk. You look healthier, but with Brenda a couple of days ago . . . is everything okay?"

I feel like telling her the truth. I want to let the dam break free and let everything come rushing and flowing out. But I can't. I have to be strong, for the remaining family I have, and for the safety of others around me.

Especially with the upcoming date, barely a week away.

I put on a smile. "Everything is alright, he's just ignoring us now."

She looks at me unconvinced but nods anyways. "Remember, if you ever need anything, we are here for you."

I smile at her. "Thank you Kylie." I pull her in for a hug which she returns.

----

"I'm home!" I scream when I enter through my front door.

My father comes out of the kitchen and stares at me for a while. "Go through every single cabinet, container, wherever someone could think to hide anything, and throw away all the pill bottles you can find."

That leaves me bewildered but I comply. Stay silent, and you stay unnoticed.

I walk into the bathroom and reach my hand up to open the compartment behind the mirror, but something stops me.

I stare at myself in the mirror. The bags under my eyes have disappeared, my skin is filled with more color from the nutrients I have been gaining. I feel as though I've gained weight, and although I want to cry with happiness, I can't. Everything comes with a price. Sure, I'm healthier than I have been in years, but that doesn't compare to the fact that someone had to go in order for that to happen.

My hair looks numb under the light of the bathroom. It was once filled with golden highlights, now the gold is a dull yellow which really clashes with the brown of my hair. My hair grew a little, not much, but I still wish it hadn't.

Tears fill my eyes. Everything is the problem. Everything is wrong.

Brenda would still be here if only it weren't for the stupid Night Howlers, and my mother would also be here if it weren't for them as well.

I take a deep breath. I can't break down right here, and right now. Not when anyone can walk in and find me like this.

I open the compartment and take out some cold medicine. Nothing too extreme, mostly for colds and fevers.

Walking out of the bathroom I glance towards my father's room. He rarely uses it, preferring to sleep on the couch, but that doesn't mean it's fully empty.

I push the door and walk in. The room hasn't changed much as no one comes in here.

I glance to the light brown blankets with white dots in swirling patterns. Next to it is a little table which I know my mother used to put her and my father's medications. They mostly consisted of allergy medications.