Epilogue

In first month of summer, the Bretons traveled to Banebury for a ceremony honoring the heroes of the War for Tauren. Naturally, Reid was among them. But in the wake of losing Oliver, the recognition felt hollow. Reid was proud to have done what he could to help defeat Tsorsha, but her downfall hadn't brought Oliver back. Reid tried to at least pretend to be interested in the ceremony. He held Adelaide in his lap throughout most of it, trying to feel the same kind of closeness with his sister that he had felt with his brother, but it was hard. He carried her in his arms for the better part of the journey home anyway.

***

Even so many weeks after the end of the war, the Academy remained closed as the surviving soldiers continued to sort through the wreckage of the Battle at Banebury. Reid wasn't sure if he would return when it opened again.

Most of his memory of the battle was a jumbled blur, and he was grateful for that. But the time he spent that day with Malgrin, tucked in the safety of the cave in the Hobblish Hills, and the quest that followed, he recalled vividly, as if the memory had been permanently etched in his brain and were one that he could often not stop from playing in his mind's eye, especially at night. Reid missed Oliver. He couldn't keep himself from thinking that it should have been him instead.

Still, Reid found some level of consolation in the fact that Captain Pitchblende believed he met Malgrin. He was the only one that Reid confided in, and instead of telling Reid he had surely hallucinated under the pressure of the battle - which he was half expecting to hear - he expressed immense pride in Reid, and reminded him that Tsorsha would not have been defeated if not for his efforts. The Captain saw to it that Etienne Erlewine's papers were made public at last, with an addendum that included Reid's small portion of the tale and comments from Elevaine on Mereworth's sword. Slowly, the anti-darthag sentiment began to reverse throughout the Southern Lands, though Malgrin was never seen again.

***

"Come outside, Reid," his mother said. "It's time."

Reid breathed heavily, clutching a small stone in his hand as he followed his mother and sister to the old stone well that was nestled in the trees of the backyard. The sun was finally beginning its descent as the longest day of the year began to dwindle, turning the sky a rosy lavender and signaling the culmination of Midsummer's Day.

Reid stared into the depths of the well, where a shallow layer of crystalline water bent flashes of colorful light from the pile of bright gems that littered the bottom.

"Do you have the stone?" she asked Reid.

Reid opened his palm and revealed a tiny green emerald, the same one that Oliver had carried with him during the Battle of Banebury. His mother told him that Oliver had chosen it because it was her birthstone, and the gem his father had carried when he embarked on his fatal mission to Covet Waste. It was a stone of love, courage, and hope, and Reid could think of no better offering for his first well wish.

"It's best to keep it simple," his mother explained again. "You have to think it before the stone hits the water or it won't work. Something you'll remember when you hear 'well wishes.' Something you hope to become."

It was like Yule in reverse, Reid thought. Instead of losing a negative part of yourself, you gained a positive one. Reid liked that. He didn't think he could stand to lose anything else.

"Have you got it?" she asked.

Reid nodded and clutched the stone tightly in his fist.

"Then let it go."

The emerald fell gracefully, shining brightly in the sun as Reid hoped for the strength to live as courageously and happily as Oliver had. Just before the stone splashed neatly into the pool, he added a wish for better days. Before long, they were upon him.

THE END

A/N: To all of you who have follow Reid's story through to the end, I offer a very heartfelt thank you. Your readership means a great deal to me, and I hope you enjoyed spending time in Hollenmere as much as I did! Although this concludes Reid's tale, keep your eyes peeled for a related series of vignettes, Tales from Tauren, that I will begin publishing next week. Well wishes, readers. I appreciate you!