Chapter Seven: Final Dispatch | 2

They managed to make it through supper that night without their mother realizing they were feuding. After they each told her when they'd be leaving, she expressed her surprise that they hadn't been placed in the same infantry. Reid strongly considered throwing his cup at Oliver's head when he answered her by saying matter-of-factly, "The Captain knows what he's doing. I'm sure he had a good reason for separating us."

Reid felt a swift surge of anger towards his mother when she found Oliver's explanation very reasonable, but he immediately felt guilty for it.

The boys still weren't speaking to each other the next morning. Since their days at home were numbered, their mother made them a particularly hearty breakfast, which Reid scarfed down quickly before grabbing his pack and heading for the door.

"Aren't you going to wait for your brother?" Adaline asked.

Reid was sure that Oliver was eating slowly on purpose. Reid wanted to get to the Academy early to speak with Captain Pitchblende about putting him and Oliver in the same unit, and even though he hadn't mentioned this to Oliver, Reid knew he was taking his time in order to make them late.

"I wanted to leave early to talk to the Captain," Reid explained. "Oliver wasn't done, so I thought I'd go ahead."

"Well, he's nearly finished," his mother said. "You can wait a few minutes."

"Mum, do you think I could have some more eggs?" Oliver asked, grinning sweetly. Reid rolled his eyes.

"You've already had two plates," she said. "Hurry up and eat. Reid needs to leave."

Oliver took a final swig of cider and slammed his cup down before reluctantly following Reid out the door.

"He's not going to let you change infantries," Oliver warned as they stepped into the soft morning sunlight.

"Don't you want him to?" Reid asked, suddenly feeling more hurt than confrontational. Maybe Oliver really didn't want to switch.

Oliver struggled for a moment.

"I don't know," he said at last. "Of course I want to march with you, but, well, maybe it is better this way. We won't be so distracted trying to protect each other. We can just focus on doing our jobs."

"Protecting me, you mean," Reid said. "You don't think I can defend myself. You think that if we're in the same infantry you'll have to keep an eye on me the whole time and that you won't get to go off on your darthag killing rampage with Ethan."

"This has nothing to do with Ethan!" Oliver shouted. Then, more calmly, "I know you don't need protecting. You've more than proven yourself since you started training. I think you might even be better than Nolan - you're definitely better than him with swords - and Dashel is fast and strong and everything, but you had to work hard to get where you are. That's a lot more important than just being talented."

Against his will, Reid felt his anger begin to melt away and he smiled, however slightly.