Chapter Eleven: The Sword of Martin Mereworth | 1

Reid dashed down the hill, sliding on slippery grass and mud as he sprinted through the rain. His armor was heavy on his shoulders and by the time he broke through the edge of the battle he could scarcely breathe. He didn't care. It felt as if his entire life had been leading up to this moment, as if from the instant he was snatched from his cradle, he had always been destined to come back to carry out this final task. He knew that if he failed to find the sword, the life he'd come to love in Hollenmere would be lost. He'd already lost Oliver, he couldn't stand to lose his home, too.

Oliver. Reid had almost forgotten. But no, he couldn't think about that now. He had a job to do.

Reid ran along the edge of the forest, hurdling over fallen darthags and men, splashing through puddles of blood and rainwater, eyes fixed on the castle in the distance. He swerved around the soldiers and beasts who were still standing, dodging claws and swords as he pressed on towards his goal. Reid hoped that the Hollenmerish were strong enough to keep Tsorsha at bay while he sought the sword. If the battle was lost before Reid returned, what hope would Hollenmere have then?

Reid ignored the thought and focused instead on the furious hammering in his chest. The castle wasn't far, now. He was wiping rain from his eyes when a darthag sprang into his path, charging towards him carrying a club that was taller than Reid. He rolled out of the way just in time, and was back on his feet and running in an instant.

The safety of the thick trees surrounding Banebury Castle was just out of reach. As Reid leapt over the slain darthag that was his last obstacle before the threshold of the forest, the beast's clawed hand shot up and wrapped around Reid's ankle, causing him to tumble from the air and land in a heap of metal and muck. Without thinking, Reid turned and kicked the darthag full in the face. There was a sickening crunch as the creature loosed his grasp and Reid escaped into the woods.

The din of the battle was suddenly muffled by the dense forest. Reid wished his armor wasn't clanging so loudly as he ran. Without a sword, he was an easy target for any darthags lurking in the shadowy wood. But he met no resistance until he reached the gates of Banebury Castle.

There were guards. Lots of them. Why hadn't he expected there to be guards?

They were clad in full plate and mail just like him, spears and swords pointed at his heart.

The tallest guard stepped forward, long sword in hand. "Why have you deserted the battle?" he asked Reid.

"I have to get the sword," he called through the rain. The soldiers didn't move. "Mereworth's sword! For Queen Elevaine. If I don't get to it in time Tsorsha is going to kill everyone and take over Hollenmere and it's going to be your fault if you don't let me in. It's the only thing that will stop her. Please, we haven't much time!"

The guards did not lower their weapons. They looked at Reid as if they had never seen a page before. Why didn't they understand?

"Come on," Reid urged. "This is important! Please!"

"He's only a page, Lacewood," one of the alresses called from behind the tall soldier threatening Reid. "I don't blame him for being frightened."