His Last Vow: Part Eight

"Everything alright back there?" Wes asked as we turned onto Baker Street. My legs felt numb, and as we turned the corner, I had to sit down in order to not collapse. Wes sat with me, and carefully touched my shoulder.

"You alright Aspen?" He asked, his voice sounding distant. All I could think about was how Sherlock had looked at me back there, and how it confused me. He was truly at a loss for words, and it was because of me. I felt a knot form in my chest, making me place my hand there and take deep breaths. "Aspen." Wes repeated, and I looked at his worried brown eyes. I nodded unconsciously and laid my back against the metal. My mind started to swirl with thoughts, all of them unclear and unfinished. Only a few was I sure of: Sherlock wasn't going to help me find my dad, nor help me in anything, even if it meant figuring out this unspoken thing between us. Another thing I was sure of: Wes was going to help me. I trusted him.

"Wes." My voice croaked. "I need your help."

"Yeah, of course." Wes stated, and I inhaled deeply.

I lowered my voice so the few people around us were't using their wandering ears. "Do you know how to find people? Or how to begin finding them?"

He thought for a moment, "My dad does. He owes me some favors, and I'm going to visit him during Christmas. What do you need?"

"My dad." I said.

~~~~

Several Weeks Later...

"Did I have to come? You three could have easily done this and left me to spend Christmas with Molly or something." I complained as I packed an overnight bag into the back of our car.

"Aspen, Sherlock's parents are divine, and it's bonkers how you have never met them. You can't talk your way out of this one." John responded, and shut the back before going into the passenger seat. Sherlock was driving, and Mary and I were to sit in the back. Just trying to think about what those two had been fighting about hurt my head. For the moment, John saved me by not wanting to sit next to her for the next four hours.

"And as unfortunate as it sounds, they'll absolutely love you. It's horrid." Sherlock chimed in, and as John and Mary weren't looking, opened my car door for me. I threw him a cold look, seeing as the past few weeks he barely said anything to me. That didn't mean I didn't catch him occasionally looking in my direction.

"It's Christmas, Aspen." Sherlock said quietly, and ushered me in the back.

I listened to music to tune out any pointless conversations between John and Sherlock, or Sherlock and Mary. I had mentioned to Wes that this was a hiccup in our plan, our little road trip, but he assured me it was rather a pleasant turn of events. It was late evening when we arrived, and by this time tomorrow, I would be discovering who I really was.

Sherlock's parents and Mycroft stood outside of a lovely cottage, and welcomed us with open arms.

"Ah, the lovely in-laws." He announced, his voice caked with sass.

I slung my overnight bad around my shoulders as my eyes rolled at his remark.

"Merry Christmas to you Mycroft." I teased while Sherlock removed his, John's and Mary's bags. I waited for my uncle as two elder-looking people exited the small dwelling. They both had white hair that  gleamed even in the dull grey daylight. Their skin was fair, but not as much as Sherlock or even Mycroft's. Their faces beamed with joy and excitement as they cheered for the homecoming of their youngest son.