The Sign of Three: Part Seven

I looked at my uncle with pride and smiled at the memory.

"Private Bainbridge had just come off guard duty. He'd stood there for hours, plenty of people watching, nothing apparently wrong. He came off duty and within minutes was nearly dead from a wound in his stomach, but there was no weapon." Sherlock continued as hist story came to an end. "Where did it go? Ladies and gentlemen, I invite you to consider this: a murderer who can walk through walls, a weapon that can vanish – but in all of this there is only one element which can be said to be truly remarkable. Would anyone like to make a guess?" He asked, expecting audience participation.

I saw the guests look around at eachother and glanced at my two friends, who I could tell had no assumptions.

"There's actually an element of Q&A to all of this." Sherlock added. Then, much like a teacher at primary school, he started volunteering people.

"Scotland Yard. " He said, and I saw Lestrade lift his head next to Daniel. "Do you have a theory?"

All eyes and ears were now on Lestrade, who just stared at the best man blankly. "Yes, you, you're a detective, broadly speaking." He added. 

"Well," Lestrade began, trying to collect his thoughts, as this was most likely the first time he was hearing of this case. "Er, um, if the, uh, if the -if, if the blade was propelled through the, um-" he stuttered, "grating in the air vent, well maybe a ballista or a – or a catapult. Um, somebody tiny could-could crawl in there." He took in a sharp breath while holding a look that seemed like he regretted his words. "So, yeah, we're loo... we're looking for a- uh -a dwarf."

 I cringed for my friend. 

"A dwarf? Brilliant!" Sherlock exclaimed.

"Really?"

"No, next." Sherlock dismissed, and then I saw his gaze move to Molly's boyfriend Tom. "Got a theory?"

I saw Molly's eyes widen as Tom's chair squeaked while he stood. 

"Well, I was thinking, it was attempted suicide," Tom stammered. "with a blade made of compacted blood and bone; broke after piercing his abdomen ... like a meat ... dagger." 

I could feel the frustration steaming from Sherlock's ears. 

"A meat dagger?" Sherlock asked, articulating his words sharply.

I saw Lucy hide her face so no one could even see her associate with Tom, who sat at Molly's command.

"Anywho...There was one feature, and only one feature, of interest in the whole of this baffling case, and quite frankly it was the usual." Sherlock continued, then looked toward John.  "John Watson – who, while I was trying to solve the murder, instead saved a life." He stated. "He's the best and bravest man I've ever known, and he actually knows how to do stuff." I heard my uncle chuckle from embarrassment. "Except wedding planning and serviettes, he's rubbish at those." Sherlock joked.

"Now I'm not here to praise John, I'm here to embarrass him, so let's move on-"

"Wait, how was it done?" I heard Lestrade ask from the crowd.

"How was what done?"

"The stabbing, how was it done?" Daniel added, his arms crossed and words spoken with confidence.