The Sign of Three: Part One

Applying for university turned out to be more overwhelming than I expected. From the day I had breakfast with Daniel and Lucy up to a week before the wedding up was tirelessly up and stressing over bridesmaid duties and student fees. I made sure to be one of the first bridesmaids to get the lilac dresses. Lucy says that while it's not my best color, that I still outshine all the other middle-aged women. Besides Mary, of course. I couldn't believe that John actually had the balls to ask her to marry him. I remember just yesterday how Mrs. Hudson was talking to me about how she always planned for Sherlock and John to get married. Mostly because that actually was yesterday.

As for my university application, I sent it in two weeks before the wedding. I tried to go for somewhere in America, despite their crazy tuition prices. With my scores though, I had what they call "automatic admission." Hopefully that's good. As a part of my application, I needed three letters of recommendation. Luckily, I had three perfect people in mind.

"Mycroft!" I said when he visited Sherlock for his wedding invitation, despite myself and the detective's running bet of his brother actually attending. On this day, Sherlock was in the shower and Mycroft and I were alone for a bit.

"Yes, Aspen?" He answered, sitting in John's armchair.

"I need to ask you a big favor. I need you to write me a letter of recommendation. I need it in two weeks." I said quite quickly.

"Um, okay, I'd like to do that. Let me see what I can do." Mycroft said, The Sherlock came out and gave him the invitation. As he left, I locked eyes with the detective, who narrowed his eyes at me. Our bet: If Mycroft doesn't come then Sherlock has to let me smoke one of his cigarettes. He's that confident that his brother will attend.

***

I woke up to the sound of a violin in the living room. The sun shone through two clouds out my window, and it seemed like a perfect way to wake up. Moving the covers and getting out of bed, I went to the door and opened it to see Sherlock adjusting the volume on a stereo. He looked in my direction at once, and seemed to light up, or at least raise his eyebrows in relief.

"Oh, Thank god Aspen, you're awake. I thought I'd have to do this by myself, and look like an idiot." He stated, then motioned for me to go by his side.

"Should I be worried?" I asked, feeling my bare feet against the cold wood floor. My fleece pajama pants brushed against my legs with every step.

"Possibly. You're going to want to dance with Daniel tonight right?" He asked, then when he glanced at me with a smirk, I knew where this was headed.

"Oh no, Sherlock you know I don't know how to-" I began as he played the violin music, which meant 'shut up' in Sherlock language.

"Hey you have me right? Your 'father'? I should teach you this stuff." The detective mentioned.

"Sherlock, that's not true and you know that. Only because for some reason those American schools are so keen and strict on knowing every damn thing about you that they can't stand someone not having a bloody father." I started as the detective took my hand and waist and began to waltz. "I couldn't just put John because he's my uncle, and you seemed okay with it-"

"For gods sake Aspen, shut up and let me teach you how to waltz." Sherlock interrupted. "I taught John just fine, and he was even more talkative than you, believe me."

I sighed and reluctantly complied.

"Okay, so," he began, talking in a tone just loud enough to where I could hear him, but the music wasn't drowned out. "Make sure you don't step on his foot, or else you'll really never get him."

"Sherlock!" I exclaimed, highly offended.

"And make sure that you don't go up to him and ask. You deserve someone will have the courage to ask you themselves." He advised, adding some oomph on 'courage.'

"Will do." I confirmed with a chuckle.

"Now I don't know what this boy's intentions are, but he might throw in a spin like this-" and in which Sherlock stepped back, we extended our arms and I gave a twirl in my very elegant duck pants and black t shirt.

"I will watch out for that." I said as we reunited and continued the waltz. "Anything else? Anymore dos or don'ts?"

"Just be yourself." He said in a kind of sincere tone I'd never heard before.

It was silent for a moment, and I heard his light brown dressing gown woosh as he got into the dance. A thought appeared in my mind, but before I could dwell on it, Mrs. Hudson walked in, pulling Sherlock and I out of our individual trances.

It was still silent for a moment before Sherlock blurted out,

"Shut up, Mrs. Hudson." And a switch seemed to turn on, and the warm Sherlock that was there a minute ago quickly turned back into the no-filter Sherlock.

"I didn't say anything-" she began, and we both shook our heads as we made a mutual eye contact.

"You were formulating a statement and it's physically painful watching you think." Sherlock quickly said, the we stopped. "Well done, Aspen. Daniel doesn't know what's coming for him tonight."

At that moment, Lucy walked right through the door, a frantic mess with her makeup bag, dress, and too many hair products than I could count. As if she finished a race, she stopped next to Mrs. Hudson.

"Aspen, you ready to get ready? The wedding is in a couple hours." She asked breathlessly. As soon as she noticed Sherlock's steel stare though, she perked up. "Oh, hello Mr. Holmes!"

"Hi." He stated. I looked back and forth at the two for a moment as Lucy tried to put on a smile for her 'celebrity crush' as she liked to say, then approached her and began to bring her to my room.

"Luce, we have to get ready." I reminded her, and then mouthed 'Sorry!' To Sherlock, who rolled his eyes, only to resume his conversation with Mrs. Hudson as I closed the door and began to get ready with my best friend.