Part 33-Lena: Epilogue

Disclaimer: as always, nothing belongs to me.

Lena:

Two weeks later

The air is cold. There doesn't seem to be a moon tonight and we are covered in darkness. Alex must see me shiver because he wraps an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side. 

This really was almost too easy. All we had to do was sneak back into Portland, and wait for the ceremony to start. Fred Hargrove's father was going to be addressing the public on what is to come next, and talk about the tragic deaths of his son and daughter-in-law. Seemed like there perfect time for opportunity for Hana is interrupt. The only thing up in the air is our exit. There aren't that many of us, and there are some sympathizers in the crows that will help us if we need it, but still. We don't know what the police forces will be like, and what they will do when they see Hana. I can't afford to lose her again. 

With this thought slipping it's way into my brain, I instinctively reach my hand out and find her fingers. I grip mine around hers and squeeze. She looks over t me, and smiles slightly, but I can tell she is nervous. 

Julian stands next to her, and I can tell by the way he looks over at her that he cares about her. OR even more than that. Tack and Raven stand next to them, not touching, but it would be obvious to anyone who looked what they mean to each other. 

Raven lost her baby. I think that was what was best, but she was really torn up over it, as expected. 

I spent many nights with her in silence, the only sound in the air being her occasional tears. She sees me looking at her now, and she smiles. I don't know how, but I know she'll be okay. She's strong. 

My mother stands on the other side of me and Alex, looking straight ahead. She'll never be the person she was before, I know that, but she'll always be my mother, and I think that's finally sunk in for me. 

Hana's hand grips mine, and I smile, my mind reeling back to summer and everything that happened before that. Of all the sleepovers and bike rides, and runs. It seems the same now. Sometime over the last two weeks our friendship repaired itself. 

The sun is just starting to peak up over the horizon by the time we get to 37 Brooks. We all make our way inside, settling down for a few hours. Alex leads me out into the backyard, our favourite spot in the house. He pulls me close to him, and starts spinning me around, and before I know it we're dancing. I laugh and smile along with him, feeling completely and utterly at home. This is the only place that I ever need to be. Here, in his arms. 

"I love you, Lena," he whispers in my ear. "I don't think I've said it enough. I love you. I love you. I love you. I don't know what I ever did to deserve you."

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me," I say to him. He twirls me out and then back out and our combined laughs fill the air. "We deserve each other, Alex Sheathes. I love you."

Love. How could a thing so beautiful be forbidden?

We keep dancing around the yard for a few more minutes, before Alex pulls us both to the ground, right underneath that tangle of trees. You can just see through the branches up at the sky, the sun rising slowly above the earth. This is the only place I want to be right now. In this moment, watching the sun rise over a new day, Alex's arm wrapped around me, my head on his chest. The sun glows as it moves, reminding us all that beautiful things can be taken for granted, and that we should recognize them every chance we get. 

Too soon Hana comes outside, telling us that it is time to go. The ceremony is about to start. 

We walk as a group down to the square, no one saying a word. The silence is excruciating. When we finally reach the square we stand in the crowd, effortlessly blending in. We stand fairly close to the stage, so that it will be easy for Hana to get to the front. There don't seem to be many guards, and none of them have visible weapons. Plus we'll catch them by surprise.