Chapter 11 - When the heart knows

Start from the beginning

"I clearly told you I only did it as a favor. For you."

Patrick sounded angry and Olena frowned at his sharp response. She thought they were becoming friends, but it seems she was wrong.

She raised both arms in mock surrender and stepped away.

"Sorry for caring. Remind me not to butt in your personal business from now on," she said sarcastically.

There was a brief pause, then Patrick roughly combed his fingers through his hair and sighed.

"No it's my fault. Please ignore what I just said, I guess I just got off on the wrong side of the bed today."

"Or maybe you're having your period," Olena joked, hoping to change the mood in the room.

Patrick laughed with her, mainly because he was happy that the tense atmosphere between them had eased up.

"Let's go see if Jasper is doing his job. That slacker will try to take shortcuts so he can go home early if he can get away with it."

"And here I was, looking forward to seeing him get serious for once," Olena shot back as she moved to the door.

Patrick walked faster and opened the door before Olena could get to it.

She hesitated then smiled radiantly, appreciating the gallant gesture.

Patrick felt his heart stop  and his body went numb for a second at the impact of her smile, then he hurriedly followed her outside.

He knew then that he was in trouble.

---------------

When Patrick and Olena arrived at the set, Rachel and Axel were already there, doing their final checks on the props and materials before they start shooting the first frame.

They immediately pulled Olena to the side for a quick discussion and Patrick left them to it.

He decided to take a walk outside, hoping the cool morning mist would help clear his head that was still a mess from his conflicted emotions.

A cool breeze welcomed him as he stepped outside the building. But though it refreshed him, it couldn't get him to relax. And he knew that he cannot keep running away forever.

Because there was only one way to fix this problem... he had to face the truth so he can deal with it.

And the truth was that he was in love with Olena.

But - and what a big but it was - Olena was a married woman.

And from what he saw on her Facebook profile, she seems to be happy with her husband.

Which is why he should stay the hell away.

He felt his chest tighten at the thought but he clenched his jaw and forced himself to accept his reality.

He didn't want to be a homewrecker. There were plenty of other women anyway.

Not like Olena, his inner voice insisted.

But they were single, and right now that's what matters, right? Damn, where was Haidee when he needed her.

He wanted to bang his head repeatedly against the wall, hoping it will bring him to his senses.

Good job managing your affairs, Patrick. Thirty years old and letting yourself get trapped in an unrequited love which you managed to dodge your whole life.

Patrick turned around headed back towards the studio, determined to stay as far away from Olena as possible outside their interactions for the project.

He was going to keep things strictly professional between them.

But Patrick wondered how long he would be able to keep it up when the project they had to work together for had just started.

This would probably be the longest and most difficult video project of his life.