Chapter 5: Je t'aime

Chapter 5 Je t'aime

The shocked look on Bryon’s face surprised me. It wasn’t what I was expecting. I actually didn’t know what I was expecting. Maybe his trademark smirk, or a casual shake of his head to shake off my question. The expression he gave me now left me cold.

“Well…?” I asked impatiently.

Bryon took a breath, “My sister…”

What? Did I hear that right, “Sorry, repeat that please?”

“My sister!” He practically shouted.

“Then wait… what?” This was confusing. Either he was sleeping with his sister, or there was something else going on. I shuddered at the incestuous images. The idea that Bryon wasn’t seeing anyone was really relieving, and I couldn’t help but smile.

“Why are you smiling?” Bryon cocked his eyebrow.

I quickly wiped my smile off my face and glared at him.

“So, back to Madame Aurélie Isadore,” I say, trying to distract Bryon from my slip up.

“She’s my sister. She’s been emotionally scarred, ever since that incident. That incident that I myself had to defend for.”

Suddenly everything was starting to click. Why he was taking me for revenge. My father had done something to his sister. Something so horrible that he hasn’t been able to move on. I instinctively moved my hand to pat his head, even though he was a full head taller than me. My hand froze as my eyes met Bryon’s pained expression. I put my hands down and shook my head.

“He… raped her.”

It didn’t compute until a few moments after the words came out of Bryon’s mouth. Rape… Rape? My dad raped someone? That would explain why he and my mom had been constantly fighting when he came back from the African trip. My mom was going to file a divorce, but something had stopped her. My memory was kind of fuzzy; I vaguely remembered a period of time when I had been homeschooled because the media was so bad that they had been camped outside our house. Tears were trailing down my face, sad about what had happened to Bryon’s sister. Sad about what Bryon had to go through. Quickly I wiped my eyes, hoping Bryon hadn’t caught them streaming down my face. However when I felt Bryon’s strong arm wrap around me, I knew he had seen them.

“So you’re not seeing anyone?”

Suddenly his arms tensed around me and he looked down, “Where would you…” The rumbling of his chest as Bryon was engulfed with laughter made me jump.

“Were you jealous?” He said smugly.

“Hmph, me jealous, don’t be so cocky? Why would I be jealous? You’re not even cute.” I lied through my teeth.

Bryon’s eyes flashed in anger. Thought so, he wasn’t interested in me. My lips quivered slightly before I pinched myself to keep from crying.

“What were you doing with your sister in your bedroom then? Talk about incest.”

“What? You though… You’re despicable; we were talking about business plans. As you probably have heard, I’m the designer for her company,” Bryon said in a disgusted tone.

Now it was my turn to laugh. But unlike him, I wasn’t laughing at him, I was laughing at myself for being so naïve. I quickly dislodged myself from his arms, immediately missing the feel of them and turned to make my way back to the kitchen. On the way, I grabbed my salad from where I had placed it last.

“If you need me, I’ll be watching TV in your office.”

Bryon grabbed my wrist, “Now that you know so much about me, I’m not letting you go.”