Chapter 3: Escape

Chapter 3 Escape

It’s been two weeks now since the incident. Two weeks since I’ve sprained my ankle, rendering me useless. All I’ve done is lain in this bed, wasting away. If I wasn’t watching the T.V, I would be reading a book. I’ve already gone through Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, and a bunch of other Jane Austen books.

“I’m so bored,” I complained to Bryon on his daily visits. I was surprised that he always came. Always at the same time, and always with some flowers.

“Why do you care so much?” I cocked my eyebrows, giving him a curious glance. Waiting for his explanation, I played with the loose thread on my shirt.

“I don’t, I- just…” His voice trailed off. I looked up, startled at the sudden change of demeanour.

His normal arrogant voice wasn’t so confident. I stared at him interested by his blushing face. Beginning to wonder why he was so flustered when he looked up and met my eyes. My face immediately turned red and my heart fluttered. How strange, no one had been able to do that to me. Not even the school’s jock, who was quite the eyeful. He tried to hit on me every chance he got. But this stranger, my kidnapper, could spark what no one else could do.

I shook my head, blaming the lack of fresh air the reason for my flushness.

“Could you please open a window? I need some fresh air,” I pleaded. Bryon looked at me one more time before sighing and giving me his trademark cocky smirk.

“You won’t try to escape?” He mumbled.

I shook my head.

He flipped open a panel on the side of the window and punched in some numbers. I heard a whirring sound coming from the window. I watched in awe as the window open outwards. I hadn't noticed the balcony that was present beneath the window.

I heaved myself from my bed and grabbed my crutches. I slowly made my way over to where Bryon stood staring at the view. It was hard to walk with crutches on the soft carpet. I misplaced one and fell. I screamed girlishly as I landed into Bryon’s open arm. I felt Bryon’s laugh vibrating throughout his chest.

“You’re such a klutz,” he said, before letting me catch a glimpse of the view. I stepped outside and took a deep full breath. The air never tasted so sweet. Today the lake outside was a nice shade of turquoise.

“Sir, she’s here,” Wilhelm, Bryon’s personal butler, said, interrupting the peace and quiet. I glanced at Bryon, curious about who this female was. Bryon faced Wilhelm before saying,

“Good, send her to my room please, I must get ready.” Okay, now I was really curious. He was inviting some random girl into his bedroom. Maybe it was his girlfriend? There was an unknown stirring coming from my heart. I watched as Bryon, turned to face me. He looked like he was going to say something, but all he did was nod a goodbye, before turning on his heels and making his way out. Wilhelm trailing after him.

I ignored the nudging that was coming from my heart as I focused on the view. It just wasn’t quite as beautiful. The lake wasn’t quite as sparkly and the sky wasn’t as blue. I wished I could see who it was. Suddenly a light went off in my brain, maybe I could, I thought, as I ditched the crutches and made my way to the door. I had pretended that I still needed the crutches.
***
Sneaking out into the hallway, I heard Wilhelm say something in French.

“Mademoiselle, attendez ici, s’il vous plait.” I heard him open a door. I limped towards the staircase and kneeled down, hoping to catch a glance of this lady. I peered in between the bars and caught a sight of wavy brown hair disappearing into the opened door.

I was wondering if I should make a move, when I suddenly saw Bryon coming out of his office in a shirt that moulded into the shape of his body. I could see his well defined muscles as he made his way to the door that contained the French woman. His clothes bunched around his waist, showing his tanned bare skin, as he walked towards the door.

I watched as Wilhelm walked out of the room and closed the door. Something was going on. As soon as Wilhelm was out of sight, I crept down the stairs and pressed my ears to the door.

“My, aren’t you desperate,” Bryon said seductively.

“Please…” the French woman said.

My cheeks felt cool. I pressed my hand to my eyes and it came back wet. I blinked. I’m crying, I thought. Why? I slowly backed away from the door. Tripping over my own feet, I retreated into Bryon’s office. I was suddenly really mad. Since Bryon was clearly occupied, I was going to do some research of my own.

I checked the drawer that Bryon had shoved all the paper in a few weeks ago. Fortunately, the key was already in the lock. What an idiot. I slid the drawer out and sifted through the paper. The first few documents were just the plans for my kidnapping. Everything was planned out down to the tiniest details. How did he get access to so much of my personal life? While pondering on it, I continued to mindlessly flip through the pages, until something caught my eyes: Sex Slave Trade in India. Why would he have something like this? I read the article, and my eyes caught on a company name. A company name that I hope I would never see associated with something so scandalous.

Santos Company and Co. has been involved in the biggest Sex Trade in India…

My father’s company. I re-read the sentence again. My father was involved in a sex trade? I thought all his business trips were to help the homeless.  Maybe I should rethink everything he had been doing. But wait, this article was found with someone who plotted to kidnap me, well succeeded actually. Maybe he planted it deliberately so I could find it and doubt my own father. I heard the doorknob rattle as someone tried to enter. I shoved everything back into the drawer, keeping the article about the Sex Trade. I couldn’t make a move, because the door was complete glass. I made myself as small as possible and hid under the table. As I watched Bryon’s legs coming closer and then come to a stop a few metres from where my head was, I held my breath.

“Wilhelm, please escort Mademoiselle Fontaine out,” he commanded. Sighing he sat down and I could hear him writing something. Probably a love letter for his beloved, Fontaine. Suddenly Bryon kicked me.

“Shit,” I said. I peered out from behind my hands and met his shocked gaze. I opened my mouth about to defend myself, but nothing came out. Upon seeing his face, I felt fresh tears trailing down my cheeks.

Seeing my tears, Bryon’s face turned from shocked to confusion. I pushed myself out of my hiding spot, and limping as fast as I could, I shoved the door open, surprising Wilhelm who was coming back to report back to Bryon about that she-devil. I scolded myself right away. Why was I calling a random girl a she-devil? Normally, I wasn’t so quick to judge someone. All these emotions were confusing me.

“Wait, Collette!” I heard Bryon’s voice from behind me, coming closer. I sprinted up the steps, ignoring the pain that was coming from my ankle. I bit my tongue trying to keep from screaming. Running into my room, I slammed the door and blocked it with my chair.

“Collette, open the door. Why are you crying?”

“Get out of here, I don’t want to see you EVER again.” I walked into my closet, just to be further away from him.

Walking inside the closet, I noticed a laptop computer in the corner. Maybe I could get through to my father for him to come rescue me. As the laptop booted up, I listened for the banging. It seemed to have stopped. It was getting stuffy inside the closet so I went back out, and sat down on the balcony. I leaned against the bars as I stared at the computer screen.

Then I noticed that Bryon had forgotten to close the window. I peered over the balcony to judge how high up I was.

The start-up music of the computer brought me back from my planning. I was about to type in facebook.com when a crinkling sound coming from my dress drew my attention. I pulled it out to discover the dreadful article.

Letting curiosity get the better of me, I Googled, “Sex Trade in India, Santos Company and Co.”

Surprisingly, I got only a few hundred hits. I clicked on the first link: Asher Santos found to be a big part of Sex Trade.  

Immediately, I began skimming the words on the page. Asher Santos was found to be in contact with Maximillian Padidar, the biggest sex trader. Further research has shown us that they have been partnered together in the biggest Sex Trade heist. In a desperate attempt to cover up his tracks, Santos had hired the best lawyer his money could get him. Bryon Delestre had managed to clear Asher Santos’s name, flaring his fame as the youngest lawyer. At the age of twenty three, he has solved fifty cases ever since he started…

I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Bryon Delestre? So that’s how he got all my information.

Bryon had been my father’s lawyer in this case. But that still didn’t explain why he had kidnapped me. I mean he’s loaded, a lawyer, and a famous one at that.

I charged out of my room and almost tripped over… Bryon? What was he doing?

“I finally caught you,” he said while pulling me into his lap. I fought my hardest and pushed against his iron grasp.

“Bryon Delestre, why did you kidnap me.” His eyes became a dark brown at the sudden mention of his last name. He narrowed his eyes and studied me closer.

“How did you…” his voice trailing off, “you looked through my stuff didn’t you? What were you doing looking through my stuff?” I was scared at his sudden outburst. His face showed one of anger. Bryon grabbed my arm and dragged me into my room.

“What are you doing?” I screamed as he brought out a rope from underneath the bed. He shoved me roughly onto the bed and tied my arm to the bedpost.

“Now what else do you know?”

“N-n-nothing,” I stammered. Bryon stared at me. Judging my face. He suddenly turned around and stormed out of the door, leaving me tied to the bed.

I must have dozed off, because I couldn’t tell the difference between the dream world and reality. Bryon was running after me with a gun, yelling traitor. I was screaming and then I heard a bang, and I woke up in a sweat drenched stupor. Wilhelm was looking down at me.

“Miss Collette, please excuse Mr. Delestre’s behaviour.” Wilhelm began to untie me. My wrist was sore from where the rope had cut into my skin. As soon as my hands were free, I rubbed my wrist.

“It’s time for dinner.” Knowing I would have to see Bryon, I didn’t want to go, but my stomach rumbled, at the thought of food. I stepped onto the floor and immediately I fell to the ground in pain. Right, I did some pretty excruciating running earlier.

“Would you like some help Miss Collette?” I took Wilhelm’s outstretched hands and used him as my crutch. As we made our way into the dinning hall, I met Bryon’s cold gaze and shuddered. I looked away.

Although I was starving only moments ago, the delectable fried rice suddenly wasn’t looking so tasty. I spooned up some peas and began nibbling on it. The silence was unbearable. After eating half of my dinner, I wiped my mouth and stood up.

Pain shot through me and stars appeared. I collapsed onto the floor. As I watched Bryon walk past me without a second glance, my anger flared. I used my chair to help myself up and limped slowly towards the door. I dragged myself slowly up the stairs and finally I reached my room. Collapsing into the bed, I fell into a dreamless sleep.

I awoke to the sound of birds chirping and the chilling wind. I sat up and ran my hands through my hair. My hands came back oily. Ick, time to take a shower. I hobbled into the washroom and stood under the shower. I lathered the shampoo in. After a few more moments, I closed my eyes and stuck my head under the water. The pounding water against my scalp added to my pounding headache. I quickly turned off the faucet and gingerly stepped out, minding that one of my ankles were still throbbing. Wrapping a towel against myself, I looked for my new gown. Crap, I forgot to get one. I stuck my head outside and looked at my still wide opened door.

Checking that there was no one there, I stumbled out of the bathroom and quickly stepped into the closet.

Running a hand through the countless dresses, I quickly picked one with floral designs. It was a strapless dress. I sighed. Why did Bryon have to keep dressing me up like a doll?

Walking out onto the balcony, I judged the distance. A bell rang in my head. I looked over at my bed, and noticed the rope that was used to sustain me was still tied to the bedpost. I was going to be getting out tonight. Now I just have to find something suitable to wear.

I limped out of the room and bumped into Wilhelm.

“Hey, Wilhelm, do you know where I can get some pants and t-shirts?” Wilhelm looked at me curiously. Without another word he led me down the hallway into what seemed to be another closet.

It was an exact replica of my closet, except the dresses were replaced by pants and t-shirts.

“Here are some of Mr. Delestre’s clothes. We have different size pants, but the t-shirts are all the same size. I’m going to leave you now.”

“Thanks,” I called out after him.

I picked a black tee and found pants that were in my size. I took them and ran back into my room. I tucked my “breakout” clothes under my mattress and went out to seek for some food.

My journey took me to the kitchen. I stuck my head in and looked for any signs of human life.

There didn’t seem to be any, so I went towards the fridge. I opened it and was greeted by sandwiches and subs of different kinds. All kinds of cheese and every other food you could find imaginable. I grabbed two subs and headed for my room.

Coming out of the kitchen, I crashed into Bryon. On instinct, I put my hands behind my back, striking Bryon’s curiosity. I glared at him as I backed away slowly. He followed suit.

“What’s that behind your back?” He said coldly.
“None of your beeswax,” I replied. I turned on my heel and made my way up the stairs. Suddenly arms came out and grabbed me.

“You’re going to tell me what you have right now,” Bryon demanded. Turning back around, I faced him.

“Subs, I got hungry, and I eat like a pig, so I didn’t want you to see,” I hissed between my mouth. Bryon stared at me, assessing my reaction before waving me off. I immediately went up the stairs and slammed the door to my room. I put the chair back under the doorknob. I would be camping out in my room for the rest of the day.

I went over to the laptop and clicked on the browser. I was going to start on my letter to my father, like I planned to do yesterday before all the commotion had begun. Typing hotmail.com into the url bar. I smiled as the familiar webpage popped up. I quickly began my letter to my father, but stopped halfway when I remembered the dishonest person he truly was.

Sighing, I lied back onto the bed, and closed my eyes. Within moments, I was drifting off.
***

It felt like it had only been seconds since I fell asleep, when a knocking sound came from my door. I pried my eyes open and was greeted by the darkness of the room.
“Miss Collette, are you okay? It’s time to eat.” It took a while before everything registered.

“It’s okay, I have sandwiches,”

“Alright, if that’s what you want, I’ll inform Mr. Delestre of your decision.”

I heard Wilhelm’s retreating steps. I looked at the clock on the laptop: 11:05pm. Time to set my plan into action. I put on the dark t-shirt; it smelt like Bryon’s aftershave. A musky grass smell. I quickly shook my head and put the pants on.

Dressed completely in black, I untied the rope and limped towards the window. I didn’t care about my injuries anymore. I just did needed to get out of this prison. Securing the rope onto the balcony, I threw it over along with the sandwiches. It reached three quarters of the way. I began my descent.

As I was nearing the bottom, I looked down at the window that was in front of me. Oh shit. Bryon was there, his head bent down reading a book. I prayed that the book was really intriguing, and it would keep him occupied. It was too late to go back now. Of course, Lady Luck wasn’t on my side, and at the same moment that I came into full view of the window, Bryon looked up. At first the shock was clear on his face, seeing me, dangling there in front of him. As his sense came back, his eyes blazed with fury and he pushed open the window. I immediately scrambled down, and jumped down the last few metres. Bryon landed behind me.

I sprinted into the dark, my aching ankle protesting. I heard the snapping of branches as Bryon gave chase. I ducked into a nearby bush and held my breath, hoping that Bryon hadn’t seen me. When I heard his footsteps run past me, I ran in the opposite direction. Suddenly, arms locked me from behind. And I gasped.

“What do you think you’re doing? I told you to never try and escape. You’ll never get far. I hope this shows you how serious I am,” Bryon snarled, as he manhandled me and carried me back to the mansion. Even though he was so rough, my heart was pounding deep in my chest. I was kind of happy that he chased after me.

I caught my breath when I realized what this

feeling might be:

Love

A/N Hey guys, thanks for bearing with the long wait. Summer school has been a pain in the butt. Well here's chapter 3, please vote/comment if you think it deserves it. Thanks for reading ^_^ 

P.S For the non-Frenchies, "Attendez ici, s'il vous plaît" means "wait here please"

P.P.S Thank you to neysakristanti for the amazing cover (: