Chapter 1: Gala

Chapter 1 Gala:

That's Collette's dress -----> (:

________________________________________________________________________

I stared at the mirror. A fair-skinned girl with black hair and big brown eyes stared back. My cheeks were pink, looking like I had applied blush, but I didn't wear make-up unless it was something very important.  I liked to go Au Natural.

I plugged my headphones into my ears as I walked down the stairs. My steps echoed throughout the empty mansion. My mom had gone out early for a charity event, and my dad was preparing for tonight’s gala. It was going to be the biggest thing in this town since, well forever. Picking up an apple, I bit into it and left the house. I passed the security guard, there was a different one each day, he tipped his hat good morning and went back to his newspaper.

 Once I got out the gates I stopped to survey my surroundings. It was a cold November day, each time I breathed a puff of smoke blew out. The ground was flecked with snow and the trees were dusted with white powder, creating a winter wonderland. I stood there for a little while longer, my jacket protecting me from the assaulting wind. Turning on my heels I began the walk towards school. Although my dad offered to buy me a car, I had rejected it, because I loved walking to school. The fresh air always able to clear my brain of problems and worries. I glance down at my watch. Realizing that I was late, I picked up my pace and began jogging towards the school gates.

As I approached the school, the majestic gate greeted me. I pulled out my student ID and swiped it. It took a moment before I heard the familiar clicks of the locks as the gate opened before me, inviting me into the school. I stepped in and the gates immediately slammed shut. It was amazing what technology could do these days. I took the last bite of my apple, before throwing it into the nearest garbage cans.

Jogging towards the entrance to escape the cold— I've been out there for too long — I ran into my best friend, Kiara. She smiled her bright smile and began to jump up and down. I rolled my eyes and I knew she was going to be gushing about the newest Vampire Diaries episode. I dragged her inside before she could talk my ears off in the cold. I rather she did that in the warmth.

The warmth from the school defrosted my frozen fingers. We barely got two steps into the building before Kiara began jumping up and down again. “Elena got back together with Damon.”She squealed, her ponytail bouncing from side to side. I tuned her out and nodded at the right moments. We were earning ourselves quite a lot of stares. I tugged at Kiara’s shirt to get her to quiet down before continuing down the hall towards our lockers.

“So are you going to the gala tonight?” I asked, desperate for a change in subject. I looked at her as she gave me a ‘duh’ look. “I’m going to your house afterschool remember? We’re doing each other's make-up.” I nodded. Right, we've been talking about this gala since about a month ago when my dad had announced it to me.

“Xavier asked me out.” I was so shocked.

“What? When? How? What?” I demanded, glaring at her for keeping this vital piece of information secret. I noticed as her face began to redden and a smile played at her lips. She was quiet for once, which rarely happened, and it only happened when she was really happy about something or really mad about something. I shed my jacket as she groped for words that could describe her excitement. I grabbed my textbooks from my locker. I continued to give her a questioning look; we had a few more moments until we went our separate ways to our classroom. Kiara continued to stall as the warning bell rang. I held her back before she could leave.

“You’re not getting away from this.” I smiled, as I turned on my heels to go to AP Chemistry.

I stepped into the classroom, just as the bell rang. I quickly found my seat and sat down. Our teacher began his lecture, the marker squeaking against the white board. I took out my notebook and started to take notes. The sound of the pencil scritch scratching against the paper always seemed to be able to sooth me.  I took a deep breath as Mr. Horatio concluded his speech and we set upon doing some worksheets for the last few minutes of class. I was wondering about my dress that my mom had picked out for me, but refused to show me until tonight. I didn’t notice that the bell had rung, when Xavier came behind me and tapped on my shoulder.