Chapter 17

Dean's POV

I took a deep breath as I knocked on the door of the house, mentally preparing myself for what was about to come.

I wished there was some other way to do this... For this all to be simple so I can get my brother back safe and sound as soon as possible...

I was actually about to kill someone...

I gripped the knife in my pocket hard, feeling my body trembling as I heard the footsteps coming towards the door.

I couldn't do this... I couldn't kill someone...

"Hello! Can I help you..?" A young man answered the door, giving me a genuine smile which seemed unnatural on his face given his striking ressemblance to James. "Wait... You're Dean, aren't you?" He asked, breaking into a wide grin. He opened his mouth to say something, only to be cut off by the knife in my hand sinking into his neck.

He stared up at me, a look of fear, shock and sadness on his face as he stumbled back, managing to close the door before there was a loud thud that came from within the house.

I didn't even need to check. I knew he was gone.

I pulled out my phone, sending James a message to confirm that I had done as he'd instructed, feeling... Empty..?

I felt no remorse for what had just happened. It was simply collateral damage, I'd kill anyone that it took in order to get my brother back...

'Well done. I'll be in touch.'

I flinched as my phone buzzed, not even bothering to reply to the message before starting up the car, driving all the way home.

"Dean! Where the hell have you been?!" Jack yelled the second I walked through the door, running in to meet me and freezing when he saw me. "D-Dean... I-Is that blood..?

I stared at Jack for a moment, blinking a little in confusion before glancing down at my shirt. My eyes widened when I noticed the amount of blood staining the fabric of my shirt, freezing as it suddenly hit me.

"I-I killed someone..." I whispered, unable to believe it myself. "I-I killed a-an innocent m-man, Jack!" I choked out, feeling my head begin to swirl at the memory of the man's face.

My heart practically shattered at the look of disappointment on Jack's face. "Y-You promised me you wouldn't do it!" He said, tears beginning to form in his eyes. "W-We agreed that we'd be in this together! Y-You lied to me!" He yelled.

I just stared at him, knowing that no matter how hard I tried to explain to him, he would never understand just how much I needed Daniel back...

I sprinted up the stairs ignoring Ryan who was stood in the doorway of the bathroom.

"D-Dean?! Are yo-" I cut him off by pushing past him, locking the door behind myself. I didn't have time to stop, all I could think about was washing the blood off of myself...

*

"Dean. We need to talk." Jack said, walking into the bedroom where I was now curled up under the blankets, wishing for nothing other than for the floor to open me up and swallow me whole.

I didn't say anything, just letting him lay down beside me and wrap an arm around my waist.

"I'm not a monster, okay..? I understand..." Jack whispered. "I-I just... I wish you'd told me..." He sighed as he pressed a kiss to my cheek. "I love you Dean... I want you to be safe..."

I hesitated for a moment before shaking my head. "I-I need to do this... I-I didn't think you'd understand." I whispered, Jack cupping my face and turning my head so I was looking at him.

"I'll always understand, Dean... I-I just... I don't know..." He sighed, shaking his head.

I looked away.

"I-I'm sorry..." I whispered, Jack quickly pulling me into a gentle kiss.

I immediately pulled back, turning around to cling onto him tightly as I buried my face in his shoulder, beginning to sob hysterically as Jack played with my hair.

"It's okay..." He hushed me, pulling me closer to him.

We stayed like that for a while, Jack eventually managing to calm me down as I listened to his heartbeat.

It reminded me that Jack was alive... That he was here with me...

"D-Dean! It's important!" Ryan yelled, voice sounding panicked as he burst into the bedroom, making Jack frown as he stared at him. "W-What is it..?" He asked.

"I-It's Daniel..." Ryan said, his expression completely unreadable.

I felt my heart beginning to pound, a million worst case scenarios running through my head at once.

"Carlos found him."