Chapter 13

Dean's POV

"Dean..? Dean! Are you okay..?"

I awoke to the sound of Jack's voice, wincing at the blinding pain in my head.

I barely remembered anything... The only thing I could recall being locked in that room while James spoke to Oliver.

I immediately sat up, crying out in agony as I clutched my head.

"W-We need to help D-Daniel!" I whimpered as I tried to get up from the couch I was laying on, only for Jack to put his arm out and stop me.

"Dean... You need to rest." Jack said with a sigh as he gently pushed me back down. He gave me a soft smile, running his fingers through my hair before throwing his arms around me tightly.

"I-I'm sorry about what I said..." He whispered, sounding as if he was about to burst into tears at any moment.

I hushed him, holding him just as tight.

"It's okay..." I whispered back reassuringly. "H-How did I get here..?"

Jack opened his mouth to say something but closed it again, shaking his head as he avoided eye contact with me.

"Y-You were passed out on the lawn w-when I got home..." He managed to say after a while. "Y-You were covered i-in blood. T-There was so m-much of it, Dean..." He whimpered. "I-I thought I'd lost you..."

I felt my heart practically rip in half at the sadness in his voice.

"You can't get rid of me that easily..." I chuckled a little in an attempt to lighten the mood.

Jack just gave me a weak smile before kissing my cheek.

"I-I'm so sorry Dean... For everything..." He whispered, glancing down at the floor. "I-I should've understood, you have to do what you can to save your brother... B-But I can't have you putting yourself in danger..." He sighed.

I held him a little tighter. "I can't promise I won't be in danger... But I can promise that I'll try and be more careful..." I sighed.

Jack hesitated for a moment before sighing and shaking his head. "I-I can't lose you, Dean..." He whispered. "I-I love you so much... I-I can't stand to even imagine what my life would be like without you." He said as he gently took my hand, bringing it up to his mouth and pressing a gentle kiss over my engagement ring.

I felt my heart sink, tears forming in my eyes. On one hand, I had Jack. My perfect, gorgeous, stunningly handsome fiancé. On the other, Daniel. My brother. The one who helped me through all the tough times in high school.

I needed to do this to save Daniel. But if I do, I could end up getting hurt. Or worse... Jack wouldn't forgive me if I got hurt because of this. Would he..?

I opened my mouth to speak when there was a knock at the door, Jack giving me a weak smile before getting up. He disappeared for a few moments before eventually coming back and handing me an envelope. "It's for you..." He said as he kissed my cheek and took a seat beside me again.

I stared at the envelope in my hand, hesitating for a second before ripping it open. Inside was a piece of paper, folded up with some messily scrawled handwriting on it. I unfurled it, feeling the familiar sensation of nausea building in my stomach when I realised it was James' handwriting. My heart began to pound as I read the words.

'If you ever want the chance to see your brother again, follow the instructions below. Do it properly and I'll send you what you have to do next. Mess up and I'll send Daniel back to you. Piece by piece.'

My breath caught in my throat as my eyes scanned the first line, forcing myself to carry on.

'You remember that little channel you used to have? Harmless things? Take a video of yourself cutting and upload it there for all your fans to see. Let them know how pathetic you really are.'

"Dean?" Jack frowned. "What's wrong? What does it say..? I-Is it from James..?" He asked.

I paused for a second before giving him a sweet smile and crumpling up the piece of paper. "Just my phone bill. Nothing to worry about." I said as I kissed his cheek before getting up. "I'm gonna go call the company about something. I'll be back in a moment." I smiled reassuringly at him before walking out.

I felt awful for lying to him. But there was no way in hell that he'd let me do something like that. But I had to do this... Right..? For Daniel.

I walked into the bedroom, grabbing my camera and tripod before locking myself in the bathroom, setting everything up before rummaging around in the cupboards until I finally found a blade.

I took a deep breath as I sat down on the edge of the bath.

I have to do this.

I told myself.

For Daniel...

I tried to calm my nerves.

This would ruin everything. My career. My publicity. My fan base. Whatever the fuck was left of my mental health...

I shook my head. None of those things were more important than Daniel was to me.

I took a shaky breath, hesitating before forcing myself to reach out and switch the camera on.