Chapter 27

I waited for a few moments before I heard Ozpin's voice.

"Who is it?" he asked.

My voice shook slightly from uneasiness.
"Um... it's Summer Rose," I said.

"Oh. Come in, Miss Rose," he replied.

The doors opened slowly and I walked inside. Ozpin stood from his office chair and smiled.

"Hello, Miss Rose. Thank you for meeting with me today. Why don't you take a seat?" he asked, gesturing to the chair that was sat in front of his desk.

I walked over to the chair and sat down quietly.

"Before we begin your training, I do have some questions first. If you don't mind, of course."

I nodded. "Ask away, Professor."

"Could you describe what you were feeling when your powers activated?"

I thought for a moment before answering.
"Well... I was scared. When I saw that Nuckelavee grip Qrow like that, I felt a strong sense of fear. Fear of loosing my teammate. I... don't really remember what happened next, but my head started to hurt. Everything turned white... and that's all I remember."

Ozpin leaned back slightly. "I see. Summer... do you know what attracts the Grimm?"

"Negative emotions like fear, hopelessness, and anger," I replied.

It took me a moment to piece together what he was implying.

"Are you... saying that my powers trigger whenever I feel these emotions?" I asked.

Ozpin nodded. "It's a theory that I have. That's why I asked you that question earlier."

"But it's not like I'm going to be feeling those emotions all the time. How am I supposed to use my powers if they only work with certain emotions?"

"That I'm not sure of. I think that question is best left for later. Why don't you go back to your room for now? We can discuss this further tomorrow," he said.

I nodded. "Of course. Goodbye, Professor."

I rose from my seat and walked towards the door. I was silent as I made my way back to my dorm. When I walked into the door, Qrow was waiting for me like he said he would be.

He smiled when he saw me. "Welcome back. How was training?"

"I didn't train exactly. Ozpin and I just talked a little and that's it," I said.

I joined him on his bed and he held me close. He kissed my cheek and smiled.

"What did you talk about?"

"My silver eyes mostly. Ozpin has a theory on how my powers trigger."

Qrow perked up a bit. "Really? What's that?"

"He thinks that negative emotions trigger them. I remember feeling scared when that Nuckelavee attacked you and that's when my powers activated. I think he might be on to something," I said.

"That's interesting. But how are you supposed to harness your powers if they only work when you're feeling a certain emotion?" Qrow asked.

I shook my head. "I have no idea. Ozpin said that he would discuss it more with me tomorrow."

"Maybe you need to concentrate like Raven and I do," he suggested.

"Maybe. I'm going to take a nap for a bit. Do you mind?"

"Not at all. You can sleep in my bed next to me if you want."

Qrow moved over a bit to allow me more room. After I laid down, I felt Qrow wrap his arms around me. My eyes closed and I was asleep in seconds.

I woke up to the sound of my scroll vibrating. I groaned still half asleep and looked at the time first. I've only been asleep for an hour or so. I looked at the caller ID next. Tai was calling. I pressed the button to answer it.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Summer! How have things been without me?" Tai asked.

"A bit lonely. Have you arrived to your family's place yet?"

"Yep. The trip wasn't that long. So... has Raven contacted you?" he asked, sounding a bit worried.

"...No. She hasn't," I replied. "Was she supposed to contact you?"

"She said she would once she arrived at her tribe. It's been a few days already. I'm a bit concerned."

"Maybe she's been busy for the past couple of days. Why don't you give it a few more? If she doesn't contact you by then, I'll try calling her myself," I suggested.

"Alright. I'll talk to you later, Summer," he said.

"Likewise," I said, hanging up.

"Was that Tai?" Qrow asked, his arms still wrapped around me.

"Yes," I replied. "He's at his family's place now. Apparently Raven was supposed to contact him when she arrived at her tribe, but she hasn't yet."

"I'm not surprised. Sounds like something she would do..."

"So she's done this before?" I asked.

Qrow sighed. "Yes. She's been known to not contact anyone for weeks. Sometimes months. It used to worry me too, but eventually I got used to it."

"I just hope she's okay out there. The world isn't a pleasant place all the time," I whispered.

Qrow kissed my cheek. "I'm sure she's fine. She'll call soon enough."

"I hope so..."

I felt my eyes close again as I drifted off to sleep.