Chapter 19

I was silent as he started to walk towards me with a frightening smile on his face. A red portal suddenly opened next to me and my teammates walked out of it.

"Who are you and why are you here?" Raven asked, drawing out her katana.

Qrow stood next to me and handed me my sword.

"Raven had a bad feeling, so she made a portal to you. Looks like she was right," Qrow said.

The Faunus just laughed. "I think we've had enough chat, don't you? Now... if you would so kindly let me kill this silver eyed girl, I'll be on my way."

Qrow stepped in front of me. "Sorry pal. You're going to have to go through me and my teammates first," he growled.

"Fine. I'll make this quick."

He charged at Qrow and tried to slash at him. Qrow easily blocked it with his blade. I watched as the scorpion Faunus' stinger came rushing towards me. Tai grabbed the tail and kicked him back. He went flying and crashed into the ground. He slowly rose to his feet and glared at us.

"Maybe I'll kill the three of you while I'm at it," he snarled.

"I'd like to see you try," Raven replied.

She charged at him with her katana pointed strait at his throat. He easily dodged and wrapped his tail around Raven's wrist. Before she could break free of his grasp, he pulled her forward sharply and her katana went flying a few feet. She glared at him annoyingly and rose her left hand. She squeezed it into a fist and sent it strait toward his face. He staggered and his tail let go of her wrist. While he was dazed, she ran toward her weapon as Tai and Qrow ran towards him. I started to charge as well, but Qrow stopped me.

"Summer! Stay back!" he ordered.

I glared at him. "I want to help."
"You can help by staying alive. Let us take care of this. Ozpin asked us to protect you."

With that, he ran ahead to join Tai and Raven.
I stood still for a moment or so contemplating what I should do. I gripped my sword. As much as Qrow wanted for me to live, I wanted to protect him too. As well as Raven and Tai. They were doing their best to keep me safe. I was going to do the same. I charged at the hooded Faunus and slashed at him. His aura kicked in as my blade made contact with his skin. It didn't do any damage. It seemed to annoy him even more.

He countered by kicking me right in my ribs. I cried out in pain and slid across the ground. I could hear his footsteps coming closer. I tried to rise to my feet, but the pain in my ribs was too much.

"Ready to meet your demise?" I heard him ask. 

I turned and looked up at him. His stinger was pointed strait at me.

I saw a sudden flash as a blade cut strait through his tail and watched as the stinger fell beside me. He screamed in pain as he held the broken end. Raven stood behind him as she held her katana inches away from his back.

"Come any closer to Summer and I'll do a lot worse," she snapped.

Qrow and Tai started to walk closer to him. He let out a snarl before running into the darkness.

"Summer! Are you okay?" Qrow asked, sitting his weapon down and kneeling next to me.

"Yeah... I think he broke a few of my ribs," I said.

"Who was that?" Tai asked.

"Should we call the police?" Raven asked.

I shook my head. "I don't know who that was. Let him run. It's not like he can do much to anyone now."

Qrow helped me to my feet. I winced and held my side.

"Well... I would suggest that we go back to the dance, but..."
Tai's voice fell silent.

"Let's just go back to our dorm. I'll check Summer's wounds and see if she needs to go to get treated," Raven said.

"That sounds like a plan. I don't think I could fight another one of that guy's friends right now," I said.

Qrow had to carry me due to my inability to walk. It was late when we got back. The dance was probably over by now. I felt awful that my teammate had to miss it...

"I'm... sorry I ruined this night for you all," I said.

"What do you mean?" Tai asked.

"You guys spent most of the dance fighting to protect me. I wanted tonight to be a break for us, but..."

Qrow laid me down carefully on my bed and kissed me gently.

"Don't start Summer. We wanted to protect you. You're our leader. We wouldn't be a team without you," Qrow said.

I smiled at my teammates. "I owe you guys."

"Damn right you do," Raven said.

Qrow and Tai looked at Raven.

She stared back. "I'm joking you two. Now, I need to examine Summer. Could you give us some privacy?"

Qrow nodded as he and Tai walked out the door silently.

After Raven helped me change out of my dress, she leaned closer to look at my wound.

"Be honest with me, Summer. Are you sure you didn't know that Faunus?" she asked.

"I didn't know him, I swear. He knew me though. He said his mission was from a person named Salem and he was there to kill me," I explained.

Raven continued to examine me, pressing gently on my ribs. I whimpered a little.

"Sorry," she replied.

We were silent for a few minutes.
"How... how did you know I was in trouble?" I asked.

"I don't know. Intuition I guess. I did tell you that I would be there if you were in peril, didn't I?"

"Thanks. I don't know what I would've done."

Raven smiled. "I'll always have your back, fearless leader."

I frowned a little. "I told you not to call me that."

She laughed and leaned back.
"Well, it doesn't seem like anything is broken. A few of your ribs are quite bruised. Take it easy for a few days."

"Thanks," I said, putting on my regular clothes.

I heard a knock on the door about half an hour later.

"Uh... can I come in now?" I heard Tai's voice ask from the other side of the door.

"Yes," Raven replied.

Tai opened the door slowly and walked inside.

"Where's Qrow?" I asked.

"He's with Ozpin. We told him what happened and he wants to talk to all of us."

"Right now? But it's late and Summer has bruised ribs. She needs to be resting," Raven said.

"He says it's urgent."

Raven sighed and helped me to my feet.
"You okay to walk?" she asked.

"Yeah. I think I'll be okay."

With Raven's help, I managed to make it to the elevator. If anyone knew what was going on, it would be Ozpin.

I sighed. "I hope he knows what's going on here. And why people are suddenly wanting to kill me."

"You and me both," Raven replied.