Chapter 124: Nothin', Can ever change the love I have for you

Patrick, Ellen and Lucy sat at the table in their dining room. Tallulah eavesdropped and fiddled with the snacks in the pantry. They were talking about dealing with the publicity over the next few months. Even as storm Jillian calmed, the press continued to report their relationship as pure scandal. Every day that was further and further from the truth. They were quite literally growing their family. A family that was getting to know each other and their new home. For the first time in years their life felt normal.

The kids were getting ready to finish school for the year and the third film in their installment was just about to wrap production. Summer was so close they could almost taste it.

"I think it's very important to get you some positive publicity before your film releases in July."

"So we go on Ryan's show again." Patrick suggested lightly.

"The ratings are great I'm sure he would have you on again but it doesn't seem to have much lasting effect. You are giving people a glimpse into your relationship but they already know what that looks like or you wouldn't be here at all. Passionate, playful, chemistry filled. They could rewatch old Grey's interviews and determine exactly what they get from your interviews. They need to see your life together, relate to you in a normal everyday couple way."

"What about a gender reveal party?" Tallulah asked as she flipped through images on her phone. "I could put one together quickly."

"And invite who?" Her father turned to her with a smile. Patrick didn't want to instantly shut her down but he didn't think her idea was very feasible.

Tallulah was quiet for a moment realizing that they had told very few people about the baby. That was soon to change as Ellen's belly was quickly growing in size. She pondered his question for a minute.

"What if we invited everyone," she shrugged. "You're definitely far enough along to tell people."

"And by everyone you mean?"

"Everyone," Tallulah said again with a little more enthusiasm as if the idea was developing in her head as she spoke, "Friends, family, People, Ryan, E!.."

"Oh God," Ellen sighed loudly. Patrick laughed.

Lucy was very quiet and then, "I actually think that could work. You set a wedding date, you announce the baby and reveal the gender in a normal intimate back yard BBQ style party."

"You're serious?" Ellen focused in on the conversation.

"What's more personal than inviting the world into your new home with your normal, growing family."

Patrick looked to Ellen with concern. This was both the very thing they wanted to avoid and also the thing they had waited years for. People should know the truth. "Are you okay with this."

Ellen laughed her sweet laugh, "Let's do it."

"Okay," Tallulah said with excitement.

"Tallulah," Lucy looked to her, "I'll set you up with the party planner. Simple, Shabby chic, BBQ, You can take it from there?"

"Yes," she practically cheered. "Tell the sonographer that you're having a gender reveal party and they will right it on a card and put it inside an envelope."

Ellen couldn't help but smile at the excitement in her soon to be step daughters eyes. "Alright planner girl," Ellen joked, "when's the wedding?"

As the music filled the air Emilee took her first few steps down the aisle. Her father smiling brightly at the other end. She could have never have explained why she knew they would end up together. When she first came into their lives it didn't make any sense. They were both married to different people. She didn't even know them. Perhaps it was just the innate longing to have one's parents together and happy. Or maybe it was simply an undeniable truth that anyone could pick up on. Maybe it was the way she looked at him, or the way he tried not to look at her. The way he swallowed hard on the unexpected desires that bubbled inside of him. It could have been the way he talked about her even when she didn't deserve it. The way she spoke his name with such intimacy. It could have been how the atmosphere changed when they looked at each other.

Whatever it was, Emilee had been counting the minutes to this very day, to this very moment. What she didn't expect was to be pushing a designer vintage inspired stroller down the aisle, or more specifically a baby brother. As if her other siblings hadn't been enough to complete their perfect little family, a miracle baby pretty much did the trick.

She was nearly to the end of the aisle now. Her dad's eyes filling with tears within seconds her own eyes followed suit. Patrick leaned down to hug her. She embraced him tightly and then took her place in line with her little brother.

"Is this ridiculous?" Ellen whispered under her breath as she looked out to their back yard. It was covered in black balloons and BBQ food. Chalk boards with blue and pink hearts. Champagne glasses with little twine bows. They had a handful of guests. One of which was Kate. It was always Kate. She somehow put Ellen at ease.

The photographers from People Magazine were setting up in the corner. "No," he pulled her closer to him. He touched her belly softly. "It's perfect."

Their small crowd cheered as the stepped out into the backyard. The nervousness faded to excitement. Patrick waved to friends and family... and press. He smiled brightly, "Thank you all for coming today." He began, "This awesome event was planned by my beautiful daughter Tallulah" He held Ellen closer, "We know you are all here to hear our official wedding date."

Ellen chimed in, "But we bet you're wondering about all of these black balloons."

She paused for a long breathe, "I'm sure this will come as quite a surprise to you... It sure as hell did for us. The real reason we've brought you here today is to announce that we are expecting a baby in October."

"Of course you are," Kate joked with a smile. The rest of the group cheered eagerly and shouted congratulations at the growing family.

"So we'd like to reveal the gender of our baby. Tallulah had these black balloons filled with pink or blue." Lucy organized the couple in the center of their other children. They each had a balloon, a pin and very large smile. Patrick looked around at these amazing children he already had. A teenage daughter who could have made this whole situation painful and yet she handled it with grace and maturity. He looked to his sons, they too had handled this with maturity and confidence. He looked to Stella's smile, a smile he would have only known from a distance if life hadn't brought them together this way. Finally he looked to Emilee, she was the very reason they stood here today. She had somehow single handedly managed to right every wrong Patrick had ever done in his life.

He looked up to Ellen. His chest fluttered as if his heart was surprised how beautiful. He kissed her lips. "You ready?" He said sweetly.

"Yes," she nodded.

"Ok," Patrick said, "On the count of three. One... Two... Three..." The loud popping sound of 7 balloons filled the silence and then...

"It's a boy," The crowd cheered. Ellen's hand went to her face.

"It's a boy," she repeated with excitement.

Patrick leaned in to kiss her again, "We're having a boy!"