Chapter 62: What is Done, What is Past

There was something utterly enchanting about the Warner Brother's backlot. The grass sparkled and the trees hummed a quiet tune in the breeze. The people added another layer of music, some scurrying to their destination and others leisurely walking.

Patrick glanced to his beautiful daughter. A daughter that was the spitting image of the woman he had spent the last several years trying not to love. Something felt different now. Emilee validated his love for Ellen. She validated their affair. He wasn't sorry for it anymore. How could he be? He knew someday he would apologize to Jill but it would be for the timing. It would be for not being honest with her. He wasn't sorry that he slept with Ellen. He wasn't sorry that she got pregnant. He wasn't sorry for his daughter. He would never be. She was a part of him.

Emilee's bright eyes looked up at him from behind her chocolate ice cream cone. Her golden brown hair gently moving in the breeze. "So I'm going to have a sister?" There was an innocent excitement in her tone.

"Yes," Patrick smiled stroking a piece of hair away from her face.

"I've always wanted a sister!" She smiled back.

"Someday you'll have two of them," he added.

"Two!" She exclaimed.

"And two brothers," Patrick's heart sang a little at the way she reacted to this. There was so much to love about her. There was so much of her that was undoubtedly Ellen. He loved that. He also loved the mystery of the pieces he couldn't place. The pieces that made Emilee unique.

"I knew I would have siblings," her childish voice stumbled slightly over the word. "Will Stella know about me," Emilee pressed.

"I'm not sure," he said hesitantly, "that's up to El." Patrick tousled Emilee's hair, "But I know she's going to love you."

Emilee kicked her feet with excitement and continued eating her ice cream. "Will we share a room?"

"No," Patrick answered, "You'll both have your own room."

"But we can go in each other's rooms right?" Emilee's bright eyes glittered with excitement.

"Of course, silly," Patrick responded.

"Sorry to interrupt," a crew member said sweetly. "You are needed on set in about 20."

"Ok," he nodded with a smile, "thank you."

These last few days were his only shots without Ellen. There were so many emotions that came with this new chapter of his life. He wasn't sure how he had survived all of these years without Ellen and yet his mind still struggled with her betrayal. How could he let the women who betrayed him so deeply back into his heart? The thought of continuing to work with her for two more films was terrifying. He wouldn't be able to protect his heart forever. Not when he had already given it to her all those years ago.

The responsible thing was to stop. Stop before it was too late. Stop before someone was able to get hurt. 'Stop?' he questioned to himself. What exactly where they stopping? There was nothing to stop. He couldn't stop co-parenting with her. "hmm," he suddenly had the realization. She wasn't going anywhere. He couldn't step away from her any longer. They had Emilee's birthdays to celebrate together, her graduations, someday they would walk their daughter down the aisle. Protecting himself, making the responsible decision ceased to exist.