Chapter 38:From a Whisper to a Scream

Ellen stood in front of him, her white dress flowing softly in the ocean breeze. Her bare feet sunk slightly into the sandy terrain beneath her. There was a magical glitter in her eyes. "Why didn't you tell me?" he asked her without reason.

She looked back at him her features fragile, "I wanted to..but.."

"But, what?" he questioned her quickly.

"I didn't want to lose you Patrick," she said looking deeply into his eyes.

"You were losing me anyway," he said firmly.

"I didn't want to know what you would say."

"Ellen," he said softly, looking deep into her eyes. He wasn't as angry as the other times they had this conversation. He felt strangely calm. "I was in love with you."

"I'm still in love with you," Ellen said purely.

It was that he heard the sound of screaming in the distance. He turned quickly surveying the beach for the origin. There was nothing for miles, he turned back to find Ellen. She was gone. He spun in circles. It seemed as if the ground was starting to shake. The scream was only getting louder. Fear was building in his chest.

There were few things in life Patrick was genuinely afraid of. Some might even say he enjoyed the high of dangerous activities. He wasn't startled by movies or haunted houses, it took a lot to make him jump. But the blood curtailing scream that came next startled him out of his deep dreamful sleep.

He sat up instantly, his heart racing. It took him a second to connect the scream to Emilee. Patrick could hear her sobbing as he ran the small distance between his bed and her bedroom. "Emilee," he said fearfully as he came through her door.

Emilee sat in her bed, her golden hair a curly mess. She looked dazed and was seemingly unresponsive to the fact that Patrick had entered the room. Her hands gripped the blanket beneath her. She rocked softly back and forth as her breathing came out in sobs. Tears dripping down her face. Her lips puffy and red from emotion, she had clearly been crying even in her sleep. It must have been a nightmare but waking didn't relieve any of her fear.

"Emilee," he sat on her bed and spoke firmly trying to get her attention. "It was just a dream." She started to cry harder. He moved closer to her and reached to touch her fragile arms.

"Don't touch me," she yelled. "Don't touch me.."

"Hey," he said softly, "It's okay." He reached for her again.

"Get awayyy," Emilee cried louder, "Get away from me."

Patrick felt the emotion start to build in his throat. The fear in his chest was turning to panic. He stood and paced for a second. He cleared his throat, "Em," he said firmly, "it's me, Patrick. You're okay..."

"Get out," her tears were welling up and spilling over her cheeks faster now, "I don't want you." Her breath was shallow and she coughed, "I want my mommy." Her sobs were getting heavier and harder to understand her through, "Mommy."

Patrick stepped back starting to feel the tears build in his eyes. He looked to the clock for the first time since he'd gotten out of bed. The numbers were a blurry blue mess as he tried to focus through the tears he was holding back. His hand shook as he dialed her number. It rang only a couple times.

"Hey," her voice was groggy and concerned.

"Ellen," his voice was full of emotion.

"What's wrong?" panic suddenly set into her tone.

He cleared his throat, "Emilee had a bad dream and I can't get her to stop crying.. can--"

"I'll be right there," she answered before he could even finish his question.